Our gardening diaries - from latest toys, flowers to wildlife .. Please upload pics

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Those are the smallest of the Woodpeckers we have here in Alberta. Some are so big I don't want them landing on my arm. If I made one wrong move they could take both my eyes out before I had a chance to blink.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Those are the smallest of the Woodpeckers we have here in Alberta. Some are so big I don't want them landing on my arm. If I made one wrong move they could take both my eyes out before I had a chance to blink.
Hubby said that they looked small.Yes you have to be careful.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
So much has happened whilst I was slaving away. Lovely doggie photos, Logan! They are such co-operative models. My son just gave me a grunt and disappeared. When he had a job, I would invest in a dog and get a willing model... Lovey dog, so handsome. Logan: your tulip is stunning

Daisy: if you have any more headache, best is to check out .. I have never had headache in my whole life... Like you, I was thinking of sowing more seeds. In the end, I was using a cellotape to get rid of all the aphids on my Dahlias and I repotted most of them. Then I tidied up the lean to and put cardboard on the floor to stop water going to the floor. Thinking of tiling it in July when all my plants are out. Repotted most of my blueberries - Dixie, Spartan, Patriot and some with no name and planted 3 in the ground as instructed by Verdun. In the end, not a seed has been sown. My camera is actually a camcorder which can never take a bird photo as every time the focus is spot on, it makes a sound and the bird flies away as if on cue. It's about 7 years old. Because it's a camcorder, it has a decent battery and I am so pleased with it. But the colour management is not brilliant. I'd love to know what Mark's camera is as his camelia is pure class

johnny, the best photos so far.. What is your camera? The sunlight makes such a lot of difference. What beautiful birds! The way you worked out the birds' psychology makes me laugh. The only bird that stays near me is the robin and I have yet to work out how to feed it with my own hand.. Such lovely photos and I can actually see the details of the plumage .. Thank you.

I think it might be a good idea to go round all our home pages. How should we go about it? We can take turn, no need to stay on my thread.... How about that ...?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good evening guys and gals :)
I already mooch around the other threads Alp ;)
Logan berry is so so gorgeous, the first pic is especially beautiful, I want to cuddle her.
Johnny your woodpecker pics are amazing :)(y)
Alp you have been a busy bee. I have had another lovely day in the garden and nearly finished weeding my biggest flower bed. Planted about ten from my stash so aching but good ache :)
Oh just doing my dinner, steak! Yummy then Vera! Perfect Sunday
Have a good evening everyone xx

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I must go to other's thread more. BM: Lovely, steak! I like it medium.. I know - not a lot of people like it that way, but garlic with butter and the steak fat (Oops, does it sound gross?) and a bit of medium steak with a lot of marbles in it.. Yummy.. Sadly, my meals have been very boring.

So who is acting as Vera?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks for the link alp will take a look.
Some really fab photos......you are all so talented:)
Berry is very beautiful, and a great model too.

Had a busy day , went to a couple of GC's this morning, compost, Perlite, something to green up yellowing leaves (forgot what it's called) and..................more seeds:D

Tidied up the greenhouse ( well sort of;)!! ). Took out all the plants and gave them a good drink. Checked over the plants in the cold frame and watered them too.

Started of a couple of hanging baskets. Found that lots of Bacopa had made it through the winter in a few baskets and planters , so cut back and watered them. Then found loads of seedlings. so it will be Bacopa everywhere this year:D
Also managed to do a bit of potting on too.

Yes alp I know I should get these headaches checked , but by the time I get an app. they are gone!! Feel a fraud taking up an app. to talk about an ailment that is not there(n). Anyway I think its easing up a bit now and will hopefully be gone by morning.

Johnny how do you get the birds to eat out of your hand!!

One thing about this lovely weather is that all this work makes for a good nights sleep......sweet dreams everyone.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Hi Alp,
I just use a little pocket size Lumix.

Upsy,
Sometimes it takes a lot of waiting. The woodpeckers were a real surprise though. They use to just sit and watch the whole time. But one day a male came from behind me, landed on my arm, stared me down, then hopped into my hand and took off with the biggest sunflower seed.
The Chickadees and Nuthatches would buzz me several times and then just go for it. Now I just start calling them when I get about a block away and they follow me to my feeding station.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Alp,
I just use a little pocket size Lumix.

Upsy,
Sometimes it takes a lot of waiting. The woodpeckers were a real surprise though. They use to just sit and watch the whole time. But one day a male came from behind me, landed on my arm, stared me down, then hopped into my hand and took off with the biggest sunflower seed.
The Chickadees and Nuthatches would buzz me several times and then just go for it. Now I just start calling them when I get about a block away and they follow me to my feeding station.
That's really nice, it's so lovely.:)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I was up 5.23. Opened all the windows, well. here in son's bedroom and the birds are singing happily away..

Daisy. I laughed when you said sort of tidied up your gh. I was also sort of tidied up my lean to. Well, there is now a discernible pathway...

johnny, I laughed at this bit

But one day a male came from behind me, landed on my arm, stared me down, then hopped into my hand and took off with the biggest sunflower seed.
The Chickadees and Nuthatches would buzz me several times and then just go for it.

Quite hilarious! Here, birds have so many canteens, eateries, smorgasbords, they just snub my feeding station when I am there. Yesterday, I saw a tits and that's the highlight of my bird photography. I must say your lumix takes great photos and I could see the feather details even in the tiniest of your birds..

My seeds are so slow as I have to turn off the heating and open windows all the time.. It might be too early for me to fashion any hanging baskets.. though the though has come to my mind.

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Amazing that I could change the typo for that post posted 20 minutes away! Good day to you, johnny. Must be very cold your way as it is very cold here.. I'm doing my laundry at 60 C for my bed linen.. Should have waited when the sunshine is stronger.

7.30 I will mow my lawns - first time this year.

johnny: I really love Japanese made stuff. This laptop is a Toshiba and my camcorder is a panny as well .. They always have more functions, energy saving and well built.

Really like JB's suggestion. £200 for a camera which take lovely photos .. I've found mine to be blurry coming to pink, red and there are always patches of white when it is bright.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
My first cup of hot tea! Lovely.. johnny has a thread on his greenhouse.. he's been working hard ..Where have I got wrong? My petunia seedlings are the size of a pinhead!:cry:

Ask a Question