Off topic posts to Gardening Forum threads

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
@Colin these threads have never been strictly moderated, in fact i know of no gardening site that is strictly moderated and i don't propose strict moderation. But if i start a thread in a gardening forum about how to prune a tree and someone plops down in my thread with a long winded story about a recent fishing trip that would be a disservice to my need to know something and it is not respecting the intention of the thread. There are ways to moderate that are not offensive to the person being moderated and i have described one very effective one on this thread. Generally, the people or the OP participating in the thread will moderate by saying something like "well to get back to the topic" and it is taken care of without outside moderation. I don't know how the people reading my initial post managed to make such an ordeal of this by blowing it way out of proportion,really. Although some people did manage to understand my question. Most importantly we should be adult enough to know when something is inappropriate if they are respecting the website and also the other members. It has to do with respect and civility. It is always best to think before you speak, not only on this site but on any site and in life.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Thanks Beverly. I've started quite a few threads on this forum some not at all gardening related but have been allowed and they hopefully have generated interested in other areas something most gardeners wouldn't even have known about; I do this just to put a bit back as a thank you to all the members who kindly help me when I do ask a gardening question; if these "off topic" threads didn't receive the many replies then I would stop adding them. I have lots of old fashioned skills involving using my head and hands; these skills are dying out as older people die taking the skills with them; it takes me a lot of time to put these threads together but I enjoy sharing my knowledge built up over a lifetime; gardening is an excellent hobby but not very good with deep snow covering the ground so I try to encourage others to try new hobbies rather than sit in front of the TV all day because the garden is out of bounds.

I also add threads when I need to know something about gardening and as such these threads are deemed "on topic" however after the first half dozen or so replies from those members more knowledgeable in gardening matters than I then usually my question is fully answered and it doesn't upset me in the least if the thread wanders off topic because I've been kindly given the information; advice; suggestions I needed so why not be friendly and learn what other members are interested in.

This thread obviously is in the members chat area so "off topic" is taken for granted as in you kindly going off topic to mention a subject I'm interested in this being trains which apart from transporting gardening goods has little relevance; drifting over to fishing you mention also is not gardening related; stocking garden ponds with fish yes but not actually fishing; both trains and fishing are generally guy pursuits but had handbags or shoes been mentioned it wouldn't have bothered me.

I'm always pleased any member takes the time and trouble to reply to anything I add to the forum; in general I think it fair to say direct gardening questions tend to receive direct replies so anything else to me is a bonus; I enjoy reading about other members lifestyle and what they get up to each day; to me it becomes personal as I become familiar with members sharing stories.

I've already stated I'm a member of a radio forum where moderation rules and each time I've posted anything I've had to check and double check not only that what I intend to post is "on topic" but my grammar and spelling are impeccable; I really did push my luck because I introduced a new way of gear cutting in the lathe this being light years off topic but I then went on to be honoured with top restoration award in 2009 on the same restoration I had published. I made many friends on that forum and I like to think I've made quite a few friends on this forum too even if I do ramble on.

I like this gardening forum exactly as it is and hope rules aren't amended that will change it. Just my opinion and definitely no offence is ever meant by me to anyone. (y)

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Hi,

Thanks Beverly. I've started quite a few threads on this forum some not at all gardening related but have been allowed and they hopefully have generated interested in other areas something most gardeners wouldn't even have known about; I do this just to put a bit back as a thank you to all the members who kindly help me when I do ask a gardening question; if these "off topic" threads didn't receive the many replies then I would stop adding them. I have lots of old fashioned skills involving using my head and hands; these skills are dying out as older people die taking the skills with them; it takes me a lot of time to put these threads together but I enjoy sharing my knowledge built up over a lifetime; gardening is an excellent hobby but not very good with deep snow covering the ground so I try to encourage others to try new hobbies rather than sit in front of the TV all day because the garden is out of bounds.

I also add threads when I need to know something about gardening and as such these threads are deemed "on topic" however after the first half dozen or so replies from those members more knowledgeable in gardening matters than I then usually my question is fully answered and it doesn't upset me in the least if the thread wanders off topic because I've been kindly given the information; advice; suggestions I needed so why not be friendly and learn what other members are interested in.

This thread obviously is in the members chat area so "off topic" is taken for granted as in you kindly going off topic to mention a subject I'm interested in this being trains which apart from transporting gardening goods has little relevance; drifting over to fishing you mention also is not gardening related; stocking garden ponds with fish yes but not actually fishing; both trains and fishing are generally guy pursuits but had handbags or shoes been mentioned it wouldn't have bothered me.

I'm always pleased any member takes the time and trouble to reply to anything I add to the forum; in general I think it fair to say direct gardening questions tend to receive direct replies so anything else to me is a bonus; I enjoy reading about other members lifestyle and what they get up to each day; to me it becomes personal as I become familiar with members sharing stories.

I've already stated I'm a member of a radio forum where moderation rules and each time I've posted anything I've had to check and double check not only that what I intend to post is "on topic" but my grammar and spelling are impeccable; I really did push my luck because I introduced a new way of gear cutting in the lathe this being light years off topic but I then went on to be honoured with top restoration award in 2009 on the same restoration I had published. I made many friends on that forum and I like to think I've made quite a few friends on this forum too even if I do ramble on.

I like this gardening forum exactly as it is and hope rules aren't amended that will change it. Just my opinion and definitely no offence is ever meant by me to anyone. (y)

Kind regards, Colin.

@Colin - you have a unique gift of being able to pass along knowledge and experiences without talking down to people. You never convey an attitude of condescension or superiority in your posts. You would have made an outstanding teacher. I for one hope you will continue to share items of interest as well as your keen observations. Yesterday I did the final tilling of my vegetable garden. Today I will cover it in leaf mulch and let it rest until the end of March. I will have extra time for now and will enjoy reading everyone's posts on here and planning for next spring's planting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
:)Yes, i get your meaning but we are not talking about "threads", but rather posts within existing threads. For example, if i start a thread about how to prune a tree, i would prefer not to see posts that describe someones recent fishing trip. Garden website forums have various ways to deal with off topics and the way i like the best is (for informational garden threads) to move the distracting posts to a general chat thread in the members area. i am talking to Admin about this. We do not have in mind to create police state or outlaw freedom of speech View attachment 30560

Beverly, I agree with much of what you are saying but I have a problem defining thread drift. Let's take your example of pruning a tree. Let's say that after a few posts that Joeblow#1 comes in and tells us of his new pruner he bought. Then Joeblow#2 comes in with his opinion of the pruner and the advantages of by-pass versus anvil type pruners. Then Joeblow#3 starts talking about the metallurgy of the cutting edge and which is best. As absurd as this is I think you can see my point. At which post do we invoke thread drift?

Ask a Question