Monark effords are paying off I believe.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A thru 5B
This year our efforts may be paying off helping the Monarks out. We plant both the regular milk weed, lots of it because it also provides for our honey bees when it is in bloom.
We also plant the swamp milk weed for them in low areas and along rhe creek.
This year the swamp milk weed seems to be the choice area for the butterfly to lay her eggs. My inspections mid July to present, I've seem 33 catapillers on the swamp milk weed and not one yet on the regular in the fields. There were 5 on the regular milk weed in the front door garden.

Those catapillers have ate all the leaves off one swamp milk weed plant, it is now making new leaves.

I can remember nearly 20 years ago fishing lake Huron and they were out there flying across the lake by the thousands. Today your lucky to see hundreds flying across.

Swamp milk weed.
Aug%2016%202015_3199_zpsigyc1fbi.jpg

Aug%2016%202015_3202_zpsahx0tbvh.jpg

Lots of monarks this fall.

:D Al

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
This year our efforts may be paying off helping the Monarks out. We plant both the regular milk weed, lots of it because it also provides for our honey bees when it is in bloom.
We also plant the swamp milk weed for them in low areas and along rhe creek.
This year the swamp milk weed seems to be the choice area for the butterfly to lay her eggs. My inspections mid July to present, I've seem 33 catapillers on the swamp milk weed and not one yet on the regular in the fields. There were 5 on the regular milk weed in the front door garden.

Those catapillers have ate all the leaves off one swamp milk weed plant, it is now making new leaves.

I can remember nearly 20 years ago fishing lake Huron and they were out there flying across the lake by the thousands. Today your lucky to see hundreds flying across.

Swamp milk weed.
Aug%2016%202015_3199_zpsigyc1fbi.jpg

Aug%2016%202015_3202_zpsahx0tbvh.jpg

Lots of monarks this fall.

Very nice and rewarding experience. I have got asclepias tuberosa and next year, I will grow the red ones. Impressive!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A thru 5B
Sorry to hear you have asclepias tuberosa. Hope you recover soon, sounds pain full to me.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
That's OK my family would be ticked if I invited you to share with us.

More for you. I understand.;)

Once when I was young and I mean 3rd grade, I went to my friend Jimmy Peters house and his mom gave us a treat that later I came to know ask Eskimo Ice Cream. Obviously I was up North, Bethel Alaska to be precise, a long way from my birth State Alabama and my hometown south of Birmingham.

I just could not eat what was offered as a treat by Jimmy's mom. it was an incredibly hot day as temps had approach 80f and we had been swimming and come back to his home after our unusual outing. In Alaska, brief warm spells bring insect larvae out of the environment, and many have a life cycle which burrows into the flesh of some creature whether fowl or fish. We avoided that timing. If you swim in the land of 10000 lakes in the summer, a rash will be your best result.

Anyways, we were served a salmon dish with blueberries and seal oil that I just could not appreciate coming from a world of powdered milk and cereal. Call me picky. Or a Viking.

Here is the wiki of my last foray into deeply local food. I hope you understand Chicken of the Wood gives me the same feels. And - to be a fart about it - Monarch is the spelling of the pretty butterfly. Anyway..I am glad you bring the spice to your posts!

Here is the wiki
Alaskan Indian ice cream is a dessert made of dried fish (esp. pike, sheefish or inconnu, whitefish or cisco, freshwater whitefishes) or dried moose or caribou meat and fat and berries (esp. cowberry, bilberry, cranberry, bearberry, crowberry, [high-bush] salmonberry, low-bush salmonberry, raspberry, prickly rose) or mild sweeteners such as roots of Indian potato or wild carrot mixed and whipped with a whisk or formerly hand made by Alaskan Athabaskans. Most common recipe for Indian ice cream consisted of dried and pulverized tenderloin of moose or caribou that was blended with moose fat in a birch bark container until the mixture was light and fluffy.

Last edited:

Ask a Question