Off topic posts to Gardening Forum threads

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Recently i have noticed an increasing number of off topic posts to the threads in the Gardening Forums and apparently some other members have as well. Personally, i would appreciate it if off topic activity be limited to "Introduction" threads and to the "Member's Forum" threads.

A few days ago i signed on to post to the General Gardening forum, thread "What have you done in the garden today" and found a post about how expensive the Royals are and the following post contained a detailed weather report neither post had anything to do with what was done in the garden that day. I have noticed this activity on other threads in the Gardening Forums as well and it seems to be an increasing problem. Some little joke or humorous banter has always been acceptable in the Gardening forums but mostly it should be brief and somewhat related. Otherwise, the thread titles lose their meaning.

Going off topic can be lots of fun, but it belongs in the Introduction Forum or the Members Forum threads (imo).

Any comments? Agree, disagree, have another point of view? What to do?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
If you're referring to me, I am sorry that if I hurt your sensitivity and excite your annoyance. Are we supposed to just talk about everything gardening? It is now winter, there really isn't much going on to talk about gardening every time we post. Should I take a winter hibernation, too?

We live in a world in which one thing influences another and vice versa. It is very hard to stop talking about politics, economy, weather .. When we talk about pesticides, we will have to talk about EU regulations, or world ban .. We don't really argue and I think every sane communities allow people to air their views as long as they are not sustained attacks ..

A lot of gardening forums allow forumers free rein as long as they are not bullying one another. If I talk about modern cuisine, we also see the fruit, vegs and flowers used.. In fact, some set a lot of trends. Just how can we post if we are only allowed GARDENING and nothing else? Are you suggesting purging of a lot of threads?

I have seen threads grouped under general chit chat and hence I always posted my threads there. Is this so unacceptable to you that you have to set rules for us? I followed the established practice of putting off topic threads on general chit chat.. I only followed established practice.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
She is referring in general, alp!

IDK, everything we write here stays for a long time. Don't you think it would be confusing for someone who try to read it from beginning and find one self on a different subject altogether.

It would be really nice if we could have Chat room or something like that.

I have to post PM when I think I go off topic.:( What do you think, alp?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
If you look at the home page @alp you will see that this website is divided into 3 sections:
Introductions
Gardening Forums
Members Area

I am suggesting the Introductions Section and the Members Area are the places to go off topic and the Gardening forum section is the place not to go off topic. I am not sure you understand the distinction between the "Gardening Forums" and the "Members Area".

I have been on many gardening forums and in the rules discussing of political and religious views are out of bounds (including on this website). It is general practice for gardening websites. Those subjects can be discussed elsewhere on the internet.

@Rajesh Sethi There is a general chat area in the Members Section:)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
As far as I can see, nobody has seriously discussed politics, or religions here. Just an aside here or else. And I have put the Modern cuisine under General Chats Members areas!

If something offends your sensibility or sensitivity, just post somewhere else. I have tried to be friendly to everybody else and will continue to do so.

I am not sure you understand the distinction between the "Gardening Forums" and the "Members Area".

There is no need to talk to other forumers in that tone.

There might be the first one or two misplaced ones.

I have put the latest off topic threads started in General Chat Members area. If someone has put it under your perceived WRONG section, it's not the end of the world. Some people take more time to get used to the format or uploading of photos.

Seriously, it's winter now. We can't come to forum and talk about how cold it is every day or that we can't do anything as the garden is snowed down! There will be no life on the forum.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
Recently i have noticed an increasing number of off topic posts to the threads in the Gardening Forums and apparently some other members have as well. Personally, i would appreciate it if off topic activity be limited to "Introduction" threads and to the "Member's Forum" threads.

A few days ago i signed on to post to the General Gardening forum, thread "What have you done in the garden today" and found a post about how expensive the Royals are and the following post contained a detailed weather report neither post had anything to do with what was done in the garden that day. I have noticed this activity on other threads in the Gardening Forums as well and it seems to be an increasing problem. Some little joke or humorous banter has always been acceptable in the Gardening forums but mostly it should be brief and somewhat related. Otherwise, the thread titles lose their meaning.

Going off topic can be lots of fun, but it belongs in the Introduction Forum or the Members Forum threads (imo).

Any comments? Agree, disagree, have another point of view? What to do?
Yes people do go off topic,as well as me. But do go back to the topic, it all matches up if the person goes through it.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Yes people do go off topic,as well as me. But do go back to the topic, it all matches up if the person goes through it.

We do that all the times and eventually always go back to gardening.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
This bit should have been in a private conversation

on the other hand, @Durgan asked a serious question and @DirtMechanic gave what i consider to be an unhelpful and flip reply. I've been personally attacked by headfullofbees telling me i am nuts and probably wear funny clothes and a few other things. Headfullofbees was not reprimanded but rather supported by saying he is just a grouchy Scot, so i am pretty much confused about who gets a reprimand and who doesn't. At any rate, i defended myself thank you very much.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6 b
Country
Russian Federation
Our forums grow and develop, it pleases.
But "off topic" also exists. I, too, sometimes do it...

It's wonderful that there is a section for friendly communication. There you can read a lot of positive information, as well as share our joy or sorrow. I love this thread.

But there are also narrow topics that relate directly to gardening.
I think that it is these topics that attract new members to us who come to our forum for useful and interesting information. These topics should be "for gardening" and for respecting someone else's time.

Of course, we are here to communicate, and sometimes some retreats are possible, but within certain limits.

What can we do to help the forum?

1. Leave messages on the merits and on the topic.

2. If we just want to talk - it is permissible, but in a specially dedicated topic: in a chat, which is for this purpose created.

3. "Off topic" - this is a separate topic ... Sometimes there are messages that are interesting and informative, but have nothing to do with the topic of this thread. . Sorry, valuable information is lost.

I would not like to switch to personalities ... At the moment I do not know such a member who does not make a positive contribution and does not make the forums interesting ...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I am reminded of a principle of gardening, that being when plants are left alone they do quite well.

There is a historical figure from the mathmatical science world who is often attributed with a pithy qoute, and I believe it was Pascal who is reported to have said something along the lines of "Most of man's ills are related to his inability to sit quietly in a room". As a man married more than 20 years now, I am amused that Pascal did not mention women.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
When I was looking for a gardening forum to join the first thing I checked was the activity. There were several forums that had knowledgeable people but had only a few posts per month. When I need an answer to a question, I don't want to wait 2 or 3 months for a reply. This forum had a great deal of activity and the questions seemed to get a rapid response. I feel it has a very healthy balance of professionalism and levity.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I am reminded of a principle of gardening, that being when plants are left alone they do quite well.

There is a historical figure from the mathmatical science world who is often attributed with a pithy qoute, and I believe it was Pascal who is reported to have said something along the lines of "Most of man's ills are related to his inability to sit quietly in a room". As a man married more than 20 years now, I am amused that Pascal did not mention women.

Of course, he included women:LOL:, but the façon de parler always uses man as a representation for all mankind. Sometimes, some people like to control or are set in their own ways and don't like anything that doesn't conform to their habits and might get annoyed if someone calls candytuft a perennial and would have an argument for no reason as candytuft can be both perennial and annual.

Logan

Logan
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
1a
Country
United Kingdom
I asked hubby about this, he goes on a lot of forums. He said that posters can be very offensive and the administration can delete threads and put posters into jale. He'd go on a forum and the thread would be way off what it should be. But i've found this forum and other Gardening forums very friendly.:)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I'm not posting on this thread any more.

Ask a Question