Daughter offered baby pit bull

Reaction score
Country
United States
The pup is like 8 to 10 weeks, gray with white around face and adorable. Should I trust when I have 2 cats and my 8 yr old Jack Russell? I know most pups grow up getting along and protecting other members of family, never had a pit though.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
The name tells it all "Pit" bull. The breed was bred for many years to be aggressive. Many pit bulls are sweethearts, but trusting one to remain so is a gamble.
Taking one into your home may work for you, your cats, and your Jack Russell. Do you want to gamble on this pup growing up to be sweet and loving, or an attack dog?

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Delivery driver gets her finger bitten off by dog when she pushes missed collection card through letterbox
  • WARNING GRAPHIC CONTENT
  • Delivery driver Aimee was finishing off her shift when she was bitten by a dog
  • The 32-year-old lost the last knuckle of her middle finger in the sickening attack
  • She needed 11 stitches to close the wound but still the tip couldn't be reattached
WzE4MjExMjAxOCwiY3hvLmEiLCJodHRwczovL2kuZGFpbHltYWlsLmNvLnVrL2kvbmV3cGl4LzIwMTgvMDUvMjcvMTcvNENBRTYzQzUwMDAwMDU3OC0wLWltYWdlLWEtNTVfMTUyNzQzNjg1NDgzNi5qcGciLCJybmQ3ODU3IiwiZWIyMzQ2ZiJd

source

Please love humans or a gentler breed of dogs and cats.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The pup is like 8 to 10 weeks, gray with white around face and adorable. Should I trust when I have 2 cats and my 8 yr old Jack Russell? I know most pups grow up getting along and protecting other members of family, never had a pit though.

Pit bulls have a bad reputation, but it's largely based on the knowledge of them being trained to fight. Ultimately, if your pit bull is taught the right way and in a good environment, it should be just fine, just like any other dog. It's young so it'll likely be more hyper than the rest of your animals, and annoy them. :LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I would never trust that breed. There are lots of cases regarding pits who were family pets, friendly, etc, that suddenly turned on people and unfortunately a lot of times, little kids.

They are a banned breed in many places for a reason.

Just MHO.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Unfortunately, pit bulls have given the bull terrier a bad name.

In my youth an aunt and uncle had a bull terrier, named "Trigger"

They lived at a house called "Fern Glen," it's the first house (or was) on the left,immediatey over Hampton Court Bridge coming from the Kingston side. I used to spend a week with them during the summer holidays. Or a few days at half term
I can remember on one occasion I could hear the dog howling in another room. I went in to see what was the matter. I found their two year-old daughter sitting on the floor. She had Trigger by one of his ears and was trying to poke a finger up his nose. He was thankfull that I rescued him, so gave me a good lick.
It was in the early fifties, when the coal for domestic use contained a lot of "nutty slack" as it was called.
They had a big fireplace with a large hearth with an old-fashioned fender in front of it. People didn't have much money in those days so they didn't have big fires. Trigger liked to lay inside the fender to get closer to the fire.
Occasionally the fire would "spit" and a small piece of burning coal would land on him, I guess it must have hurt a bit, as he would let out a bit of a yelp, but he was too lazy to move. His white coat always had several lttle brown scorch marks on it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
5BAE4165-3E24-4722-92EF-F08E58E5FC4D.jpeg

This is my boy Spike. He is part Pit Bull and part Labrador Retriever. I found him as a puppy a year and a half ago. As with all my dogs he has received obedience training. He is very obedient and the best watch dog I have ever had.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Nature versus nurture. I remember these two adoptive parents to two identical twins separated when they were babies. One went to the States and another in Norway or some other Scandinavian country. The American adoptive parent remarked that she found out that even though the two were separated very early, there was mannerism she could glimpse which united the two, showing that nature did have a hand in their character and that they were pre-programmed or wired in certain ways. The trouble is that you just don't know when that trigger will be or how certain factors converge together to pull that trigger leading to an attack.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Nature versus nurture. I remember these two adoptive parents to two identical twins separated when they were babies. One went to the States and another in Norway or some other Scandinavian country. The American adoptive parent remarked that she found out that even though the two were separated very early, there was mannerism she could glimpse which united the two, showing that nature did have a hand in their character and that they were pre-programmed or wired in certain ways. The trouble is that you just don't know when that trigger will be or how certain factors converge together to pull that trigger leading to an attack.

Dogs are like a computer - what you put into it is what comes out of it. The main problem is that people don’t bother to truly understand their dogs. They interact with them expecting them to react with human reasoning. Once a person truly understands a dogs psyche it is quite easy to train them for the results you desire.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have had many dogs during my 71 years and among them a pit and a half pit, all were pups when I got them. I think it depends on the dogs owner and how he treats the dog that determines whether it will be a mean animal. Sure, some breeds of dogs are bred to be more aggressive than others but aggressive to what is the question. Early training is the key. Let a dog know what is right and what is wrong early in life. A pit is a very protective and possessive animal by nature and they take love and training but as with anything you get what you put into it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
Dogs are like a computer - what you put into it is what comes out of it. The main problem is that people don’t bother to truly understand their dogs. They interact with them expecting them to react with human reasoning. Once a person truly understands a dogs psyche it is quite easy to train them for the results you desire.

I have had many dogs during my 71 years and among them a pit and a half pit, all were pups when I got them. I think it depends on the dogs owner and how he treats the dog that determines whether it will be a mean animal. Sure, some breeds of dogs are bred to be more aggressive than others but aggressive to what is the question. Early training is the key. Let a dog know what is right and what is wrong early in life. A pit is a very protective and possessive animal by nature and they take love and training but as with anything you get what you put into it.
I agree with these two posts. As a runner and cyclist I have many run-ins with dogs and I'm always dumbfounded by how little control people have over their dogs. Even on a leash, especially those retractable leashes, that seem not to be able to retract when I'm headed for the dog, it's as if the owner expects me to go way around his dog and leash:mad:

When I call my dog (I've owned two) that dog better respond to my call, but it seems like no one else has that control over their dogs. I'm going to stop my rant now.

As for owning a pit bull, I would be mindful of their history, but I wouldn't be worried of getting one. More people need to take a few lessons from Cesar Millan.

https://www.cesarsway.com/cesarmillan/education/cesarmillanlive/live

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I agree with these two posts. As a runner and cyclist I have many run-ins with dogs and I'm always dumbfounded by how little control people have over their dogs. Even on a leash, especially those retractable leashes, that seem not to be able to retract when I'm headed for the dog, it's as if the owner expects me to go way around his dog and leash:mad:

When I call my dog (I've owned two) that dog better respond to my call, but it seems like no one else has that control over their dogs. I'm going to stop my rant now.

As for owning a pit bull, I would be mindful of their history, but I wouldn't be worried of getting one. More people need to take a few lessons from Cesar Millan.

https://www.cesarsway.com/cesarmillan/education/cesarmillanlive/live

I agree. Some woman walked her dog with her hands in her pockets and her dog jumped all over us, friend and me and even sniffed her bum. The woman had the audacity to say that her friendly dog only wanted to say hello (er, it certainly left us with her paw prints as calling cards!) and that judging by our looks, it was we who wanted to "eat" her dog. In another instance, my son, 6 at the time, was walking to school when suddenly one little bundle of energy and power ran after him. Son was so scared that he crossed the road without looking. It was heart-stopping watching that as a car could bump into him, especially true as the road was lined with cars on either side. The daughter of the dog owner said to my son, "Oh, it only wants to say hello! It's a very friendly dog!"

A dog jumped onto my friend and its face was very close to her. She later told me that she's having her menstrual cycle.

Another time, a teen girl was dragged running into my garden by her French bulldog, literally, DRAGGED! The dog was controlling her. Having said that, I am not averse to dogs, especially cute little ones (not not Pomeranian! LOL!) and I understand a lot of people deride a lot of pleasure and a sense of security from keeping dogs as companion. Some people use dogs and cats to bond with their partners. But with the larger and more powerful breeds, one just can't tell what can trigger them to react in an unpleasant way, especially when there is a convergence of unexpected factors - new babies, new pups, hunger, dog's biological cycle .. .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
my heart hurts at the negative talk about that sweet baby. Its all about how you raise that puppy, with kindness and love and positive reinforcement it will do wonderful. It will already be submissive to the others there, as its the baby. If it turns its belly up to the others that is also a sign of submission.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
So true you are. it takes time to TRAIN any dog. Dogs learn by praise and the experience. Both my GSD held obedience titles, its work, and lots of it, each evening for 20 mins, then to classes for socialization and further training, weekends 2 hours minimum. Also out and about to anywhere a dog could go to have the positive experience and exposure to various situations, that builds confidence . Daily, ensuring he keeps the line. When simply walking to for his bathroom, its at heel all the time. I did have one that got in his head that he could chase a bike, that had to be eliminated, and it did stop . 8 years ago my last one passed, don't have it in me to get another, as I am a firm believer in a good socially adapt dog.

Just noticed my neighbor got himself a GSD, was walking by, and will little command that 5 month old did not leave his property. I yelled back ---good job. was, I going to tease the dog as I walked by to break him, nope. he was trying hard as he could to sit/stay and just watch me. what a good boy. Reminds me, my 3 acre property is not fenced in, they knew not to leave.

Ask a Question