Daughter offered baby pit bull

Reaction score
Country
United States
Update: the pup will not be coming to us. Our friend said she had to give it back where she got the pup, daughter was heart broken. However I have learned a lot in this situation. Thanks

Reaction score
Country
United States
She lives in an apartment and they wouldn't let her keep it, and she let us know if she couldn't keep the pup she would have to give it back.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think I've talked my daughter into getting a great pyrenees if not.
A pyrenees needs a lot of room. I had one and it would travel miles to be with a herd of goats or cows. I finally had to give it away to a goat rancher in San Angelo. Mine had a tremendous herding instinct and no matter what I did it would much rather be with a bunch of animals than it would people. It was never aggressive or wanted to bite anyone though. And its hair is not something for an apartment unless you have a spinning wheel and want to make a dog hair coat.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Home insurance companies have lists of breeds that can cause issues of cost if not cancellation of liability coverage due to the compilation of data in their actuarial tables indicating historical risk with certain breeds. Still, I agree with @Chuck , if they are raised with love and not rough and tumble, dogs and other animals are very agreeable.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Mother frantically tries to stop dog from attacking daughter, pleads for help in 911 call

Source

The child remains hospitalised

She again says the knife is too dull to work, and the dispatcher tells her to do whatever she can to stop the attack. The call then drops.

Edgecombe County Sheriff Clee Atkinson said Harrell tried to stab the dog before the deputy arrived and shot it.

"I did all I could," Harrell told WRAL News on Wednesday.

"It's just one of those incidents," Atkinson said. "They were playing, having a good time, and the dog reacted at some point."

See, this is the tricky bit - you just can't predict when the cuddly animal becomes a beast! Imagine what kind of life the poor toddler is going to have after this!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
YES, you can predict when the animal has had enough of a child's attention. YES YOU CAN, you just pay attention to its signals. PAY ATTENTION. Poor dog, he probably took all he could and that was it.

I just had a long visit from a relative who brought their 4 year old grandson also along, he was playing with our big cat (18 lbs) twitches. and playing, and fussing, and playing and fussing. Normally Twitches is very social. But saw something in his face and body language. Told the kid, he has had enough leave him alone. You could see the cat had had it with the pestering.

Like wise my well behaved well socialized calm GSD was playing all day with my nephews, hours of good play etc. he came inside to get to his water bowl and they ran at him, he left out a low growl, (only heard that first time in 6 years) told the boys go in the other room now, he needs some space. That dog had played so long with the kids, earlier, he even did not take time to pee. I took him with me over to the side to get him to pee, and he peed like mad.

PAY ATTENTION. Even the most calm dog has their breaking point. I blame the HUMAN.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
To much inbreeding had gone into most of the current pit lines. To many careless backyard breeders. Own one at your own risk, hope it dose not end up costing more then you want to pay.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
No , you can't ALWAYS guarantee to be able to predict an animals mood.....just as you can't with a human !!!

Dog owners seem to fool themselves that they have inherited the skill of dog mind reading. No way!

You can never, ever ( despite how well trained they are) guarantee to know their innermost trigger points. Oh yes I agree we can usually tell when our pets have had enough fussing.....that's the easy bit!

it's the deeply embedded instincts/ triggers ,often breed associated that are much harder to recognise in time to avoid certain dangerous situations.
Lived all my life surrounded by dogs and many other animals. Dogs have always had to attend and respond positively to obedience training.....but even then there are no guarantees!

I think you must research a breed first to gauge whether it fits in with your lifestyle/ environment. Nobody can honestly say hand on heart that they can interpret their dogs innermost thoughts/ actions.
Where family and children are involved risks can never be taken and you can never guarantee to be there and see everything... there will be times when things go unseen and that's when accidents can and do happen. Nobody has eyes in the back of their heads.....do they? The sudden ringing of the phone, knock at the door....call of nature even, these lapses easily arise.
It's paramount that the dog matches a person's / family 's lifestyle completely......for everyone 's wellbeing.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
By the way ....I absolutely adore dogs. It's just a case of perfect matchmaking!!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
PAY ATTENTION. Even the most calm dog has their breaking point. I blame the HUMAN.

We are all wired/programmed and then conditioned (see Pavlovian or respondent conditioning) to behave in certain ways. Human beings can't take all the blame. Putting things in capital letters has nothing to do with the truth!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Bingo, I've had experiences with Great Pyrenees since they are a favorite herd guard dog for cattle, sheep, and goats around here. A friend has one that keeps an eye on her free-ranging chickens, and brings them to the coop at night. They are large, very hairy (is your daughter big on grooming?), sweet-tempered, and very protective.
You couldn't pick a better breed to be your daughter's companion.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hey everyone, just a quick reminder of a couple of points before anything gets out of hand; everyone is entitled to an opinion but they are not entitled to have their opinion accepted, and if you disagree with someone then criticise their arguments not the person (y)

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Can't see anybody criticising any other forumer here! I myself just stuck to the argument and the way it was presented. Nothing personal!

Ask a Question