Off topic posts to Gardening Forum threads

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I have to agree with Silentrunning. I'm on many garden forums, and like he said, a question or answer can sit there for months. Of course we could all search the web for any answer to just about any question we might have. I think a good forum only lasts if it has some some sort of spontaneity within it. Now I'm not talking about a total highjacking of a particular thread, but a few off topic responses is part of building online relationships, which also gives posters some conformality, which in turn keeps them coming back.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have to agree with Silentrunning. I'm on many garden forums, and like he said, a question or answer can sit there for months. Of course we could all search the web for any answer to just about any question we might have. I think a good forum only lasts if it has some some sort of spontaneity within it. Now I'm not talking about a total highjacking of a particular thread, but a few off topic responses is part of building online relationships, which also gives posters some conformality, which in turn keeps them coming back.

Agreed. Also, I will take the empirical knowledge of a true gardener over that of an agricultural graduate with clean fingernails every time. ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
I'm not posting on this thread any more.
Thank you @alp, i am sorry you took the original post so personally because it wasn't intended to be. I asked a question, not to you, but to everyone. I didn't know i would receive such a volitile response. I wanted to know if anyone else had noticed, if it was a problem for them or a non issue.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
It would be really nice if we could have Chat room or something like that.
Oh, i get you Raj, the site provides threads for off topic chat but not a chat room. I don't know how complicated a chat room would be to administer. You might ask in the comments and feedback section.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I forgot what the question was. Did I mention that I've finished my christmas baking....

Oh, yes.... going off topic... hijacking threads.

Hmmm, if someone writes about things I don't want to read at that moment, there is no one forcing me to :)

Maybe we should hire some forum enforcers, thread censors and apply penalties to those who go off topic. Maybe send them a bag of aphids or powdery mildew.

Alright, I'll take my tongue out of my cheek, but you DO get the message right?

Ian

Administrator
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
a very healthy balance of professionalism and levity

I've quoted this as I think this is the sort of balance we should strive for, where possible :).

It's really hard to keep threads totally on topic - but there are areas where it is appropriate, for example help or technical threads etc... many of the threads on here are more light-hearted and a little off-topic is acceptable, particularly in Winter.

Keeping the forums rigidly on-topic is an almost impossible task, as it requires very heavy handed moderation and frustrates more members than it pleases (although on medical or highly technical forums, it may be appropriate). Ideally, we'll automatically come to a reasonable equilibrium where most threads stay mostly on topic if they're outside of the "general chat" section i.e. if it wonders off for a few posts, members will later on steer it back on topic. Selectively deleting or moving posts on a regular basis does ruffle a lot of feathers, as I've seen from when we tried this on the garden pond forum many many years ago.

Of course, if a thread diverges and would be better off as two separate topics, then us mods can step in and split the thread in two. Likewise, I'd hope that threads aren't dragged entirely off topic for long, but rather a new thread is created in the general chat section.

I much prefer light-touch moderation, unless things get out of hand - it tends to be the best balance for a successful and friendly forum.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
CanadianLori, :LOL: "Maybe send them a bag of aphids or powdery mildew"
sd33%2B%252811%2529.gif

Yep, agree! Off topic should be made new thread. so that we don't get a mesh of thread at the end of the day!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
This is for Ian, and also most of the posters here--this is a friendly forum, and when a friend expands the topic of a face-to-face conversation, we can always listen and then gently guide the conversation back to its original intent. The same can be done here.
I admit to being something of a scatterbrain, and often a word or subject will trigger a thought that I go ahead and express. Folks here have been very kind in putting up with my digressions.
Please do not send me a bag of aphids--Texas has two of every insect ever invented, and they are breeding!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
I forgot what the question was
:)Yes, i get your meaning but we are not talking about "threads", but rather posts within existing threads. For example, if i start a thread about how to prune a tree, i would prefer not to see posts that describe someones recent fishing trip. Garden website forums have various ways to deal with off topics and the way i like the best is (for informational garden threads) to move the distracting posts to a general chat thread in the members area. i am talking to Admin about this. We do not have in mind to create police state or outlaw freedom of speech
laughing girl1.gif

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Absolutely, pruning a tree has nothing to do with fishing. And I am sure I have gone off topic on occasion, it's just so boring here in winter. But with nothing to add this time a year I only pop in a coupe times a week.
We all are able to do better, checking ourselves, and when we go off topic, as in Beverly's example of pruning and fishing, just remove the off topic and no explaining needed.
Now back when I was new to forums and had my first post moved and told to stay on topic (a politics forum), I was soooo outraged I have to laugh at myself now. Good grief, I felt like I had been personally attacked and after I had walked away from the computer for 15 minutes I came back and asked myself what the drama was all about. lol

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
@Beverly , I like keeping things organized also. and if I wanted to discuss something not related to gardening, I'd go to the "General Chat" selection and start a topic there. its easier.
Same here I come here to talk Gardening but if I Want to talk off topic I'd go general chat. Lol I'd love to talk about my 63 vintage beetle I'm restoring but I try and stay on topic lol there are sites for cars too:)..... I'll just slip it in to a garden shot when I get it back from the restoration :D But seriously as long as it is on topic.... Garden chat in the main garden threads I'm cool

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
One gardening site i visited has a thread called the sandbox where off topic posts are sent when they seriously affect the flow of the thread topic. It was not a severe enforcement and it was one of the most popular threads at this site and could possibly substitute for a Chat Room. We all get excited when we get an "any thing goes" subject for the photo contest, and this is the thread version, because any thing goes, except for nasty, politics, and religion of course. People with posts sent to the Sandbox were never insulted and most people by passed the forums and went directly to the sandbox. It was the most fun thread on the site hands down. When i was new at this site i made a mistake and posted to the wrong thread. The Moderator sent me an apologetic very sweet note asking if i would mind very much if she moved the post to the sandbox. I was delighted, finally i arrived in the sandbox with all the other naughty boys and girls who were having an hilarious time. It was the first thread i went to when i logged in and the last thread i looked at when logging off. And the informational garden threads maintained levity but stayed fairly clean of intrusive posts(y)

Ask a Question