Off topic posts to Gardening Forum threads

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Of course sweetie :) Nothing bad intended :)
Okay then, i choose both options. It would be entertaining to find where you put the posts and you would still be zigs. Actually i would like to be sent to the Sandbox where there are friends to talk to, but there is no need because i know the way already.
flyings13.gif

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Oh dear; do I need to find another forum to play on because I'm forever wandering off topic and perhaps I could be the worst offender. :(

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
@Colin I suspect the site is the thesis and the subforums are chapters and the posts are paragraphs. In good reading there is much inter connection as well as outward connection. We are alcolytes* of the soil food web after all, so perhaps it all fits nicely.

*no not misspelled

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Colin, ditto--don't change. Reading your posts is like a chat with a dear friend, one who can almost read one's mind!
Dirt, how wonderful to encounter someone that can not only spell alcolyte but knows what it means!
(Oops, I'm off topic:banghead:)

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm not posting on this thread any more.

When I saw this thread it made me nervous but I've spent time reading all the posts. The first forum I ever joined was and still is in my opinion the best vintage radio forum available but the moderators behaved like traffic wardens on speed; poor grammar and spelling mistakes were jumped upon and I'm sure this offended many putting them off ever posting on the forum again. Eventually I befriended one of the forum moderators and his wife; Bron and I would visit them and they would visit us but it became rather silly. I had posted a number of my radio restorations but I thought as I was still quite a novice I would add a thread covering all aspects of vintage radio restoring so I spent ages typing up twelve pages detailing everything a novice could expect from removing the control knobs to getting the chassis sitting on the bench; my aim was to do this in a number of stages and after this first stage novices could ask questions whilst the more knowledgeable members could give answers then I could work through the entire restoration section by section; I really was sticking my neck out because I intended to do this in real time in front of the world. I asked my friend to kindly check the first stage over; a little while later I ended up with just four pages out of the twelve; my friend explained moderating such a thread would prove to be nightmare?

I binned the four pages in disgust after all what had I done so wrongly in offering to take such an undertaking on? I then fully restored a genuine antique wooden wall clock case for my friend doing a complete re-veneering and french polishing job; I did many days work entirely free of charge only asking for pictures of the completed clock; he was to restore the "works" and I firstly restored the main case then ran it over to him to prevent it becoming damaged later I ran the glazed door across and he was to reassemble then take pictures; I received the pictures OK; at least a dozen pictures in sharp focus of his work on the mechanics and a solitary picture out of focus of the completed clock hanging on his wall. Other such things followed to the point Bron and I no longer visit them. I'm still a member of that forum but am now unable to post because my hobbies are way off topic.

I joined a large DIY forum and thought how wonderful to mix with so many trades and I was a regular poster; it wasn't long before I was invited into the forums "Secret Garden" as time passed by more and more forum members were breaking forum rules including the forum administrator and moderators; absolutely foul language was being openly used on the open forum and in the Secret Garden it descended into back stabbing; I complained but I was a voice in the wilderness and I'll never ever condone such behaviour so I resigned in a polite manner and no longer post.

I'm pretty new on this forum but I enjoy being a member very much indeed hence the tally of posts I've racked up. I've always stated I'm very much a novice gardener and many of you members have not only helped me with advice and suggestions but made me feel most welcome indeed. I'm certainly not a prude having worked underground and in big mills but I dislike seeing swearing or back stabbing; neither of these are present on this excellent forum and I feel privileged to be accepted as a forum member; members rub along nicely together and we can have a laugh without causing the slightest offence; moderation is very light indeed which actually shows just how good the forum members are.

alp is a very active forum member and alp right from the start has made me feel very welcome indeed so it does sadden me to view alps post where alp no longer wishes to post on this thread which I feel to be a shame; text alone without face to face and body language can be taken out of context where absolutely no offense or malice is intended. Please accept a big hug from me alp.

We are all different so how about cutting a bit of slack and lets play together nicely which after all is the theme of this forum.

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Hi @Colin there are plenty of places to make off topic posts, like the Daily Diaries thread, and if you look at the home page, at the bottom you will see Members Area for off topics post here. The forum name is General Chat for topics not related to gardening:). Actually the theme of the website is friendly gardening.:)

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Many thanks Beverly for your explanation. I thought the theme to be friendly everything so thanks for enlightening me. (y) :)

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
@Colin you are welcome:) Primarily it is a garden site, but it is friendly everything, it is just a question of putting the friendly everything (i.e. not on the topic of gardening) in an appropriate place as i suggested above. It doesn't mean you can't be friendly when discussing gardening topics. In addition to friendly i hope it will also be respectful of threads on gardening topics. I believe it is possible to be both friendly and respectful of the other members.(y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
:) @Colin It occurred to me (because you are relatively new and not too familiar with forums) that you might not know you can start your own threads. Have you tried this? I mean if you want to talk about train sets, for example, start a thread. It's easy. If you don't know how, i would be happy to walk you through it. Really, this garden site and other garden sites have a lot of freedom to talk about anything at all. And in the case of train sets you may attract other enthusiasts. So don't hesitate. This would not relate to gardening so the thread would go in the members area general chat. The only restrictions are politics and religion that can tend to become incendiary in a hurry.

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

:) @Colin It occurred to me (because you are relatively new and not too familiar with forums) that you might not know you can start your own threads. Have you tried this? I mean if you want to talk about train sets, for example, start a thread. It's easy. If you don't know how, i would be happy to walk you through it. Really, this garden site and other garden sites have a lot of freedom to talk about anything at all. And in the case of train sets you may attract other enthusiasts. So don't hesitate. This would not relate to gardening so the thread would go in the members area general chat. The only restrictions are politics and religion that can tend to become incendiary in a hurry.

How kind of you to take me under your wing Beverly with your offer of help. Very much appreciated. (y) :)

I'm very sorry if I've confused you but although I'm quite new to this lovely gardening forum I'm far from new to forums;

https://www.vintage-radio.net/forum/showthread.php?t=62371

Please see the above thread on the forum I joined way back in 2009. I'm a member of a number of such forums starting what turns out to be huge threads with many posts to their credit in fact on this gardening forum if you care to check I've started many new threads adding numerous images creating lots of discussion both on and well off topic.

Yes I'm definitely a guy and as you relate trains to me I do like trains but at the age of 15 some 55 years ago the trains my chums and I liked are this kind;

http://www.nrm.org.uk/OurCollection/LocomotivesAndRollingStock/CollectionItem?objid=1975-7007

As kids at school we would travel over to Wakefield Saturday mornings to catch the Doncaster train which in those days was steam; many times we've been pulled by Mallard and other locomotives of the same class and we then made our way from Doncaster railway station to "The plant" here the locomotives were serviced; we used to climb over the wall and then visit the huge sheds where we enjoyed climbing onto the footplate of many such engines as "Mallard".

Back on topic though because it's so easy to drift from topic; I don't have any problems at all if any member wishes to hijack any of my threads or even wander light years off topic on my threads; I'll never ever take offence in fact I welcome such replies because they generate lots of interest; if I find I'm not interested in a subject I simply skip it after all there is lots to choose from and although I'd like to spend time browsing many more threads I do have time constraints.

We all as members have our own opinions and I fully respect this however this forum like other forums I'm a member of have moderators to keep things running smoothly; if things became a bit out of control then I'm sure the moderators would moderate but so far on this forum I don't see a problem?

I did state in #52 that this thread made me nervous and also that I'm a member of other forums; in your opinion Beverly are we to rigidly stick on topic apart from posting in the General Chat area? :(

Kind regards, Colin.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Colin, everything is cool :) You just carry on mate :):)

Ask a Question