New greenhouse, looking for community

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hello!

I've been gardening for many years, but this winter I got one of the best gifts you can give a gardener; a greenhouse.

I'm finding there lots to learn about keeping a greenhouse and forums like this one have been invaluable. I'm looking for ideas, suggestions, recommendations and a community that won't roll their eyes when I start talking about my greenhouse (the family is getting tired of me already).

Ariel
IMAG1143_zpsahmap4qc.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Congratulations on your wonderful greenhouse! We here never tire of hearing about greenhouses, what's growing in them, how to maintain temperatures, etc.
You sure landed in the right spot! (By the way, I am eaten up with envy. Our Texas winds are not friendly to greenhouses, and with our summer heat, a greenhouse can easily turn into an oven.)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I could talk about it all day long! Lol! You know its bad when you have to corral coworkers for someone who hasn't already learned to avoid you when the subject comes up!

Don't be too jealous of my PA location! I'm looking at 22° outside and later this week it's supposed to get down to -12. Brrr! I won't be able to even think about spring veggies until well into April. :(

Thanks for the kind welcome! I look forward to getting to know the folks here. :)

Ariel

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
Just a word of warning - keep on eye on that metal stand on the right of the photo. I had stands like that in my greenhouse and the poles rusted really badly because water got into the gaps between the poles and the plastic joiners. I eventually had to replace them with plastic stands.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Gina - thanks! I already had to trash the older set because of that very issue. These have been inside the 'One Stop Garden' plastic greenhouse until I moved them into this one and are in pretty good shape at the moment. The plastic cover, not so much! LOL! It is a definite problem with these models! Hopefully they'll last until I can replace them with nice wooden ones. ;) Thanks for the heads up.

Ariel

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
Gina - thanks! I already had to trash the older set because of that very issue. These have been inside the 'One Stop Garden' plastic greenhouse until I moved them into this one and are in pretty good shape at the moment. The plastic cover, not so much! LOL! It is a definite problem with these models! Hopefully they'll last until I can replace them with nice wooden ones. ;) Thanks for the heads up.

Ariel

It sounds like you started out with the same kind of greenhouse as I did. The plastic cover held out well through the winter, but our first hailstorm totally destroyed it even though the hailstones were really tiny. Those covers clearly aren't able to cope with the sun's UV rays. My stands lasted about three years and I was really lucky that I noticed the rust before they collapsed. The consequences could have been quite serious as I use my greenhouse for bonsai and I'd have been devastated if any of them had fallen and been destroyed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I have one of those metal ones also. I could not figure out how the water got in it. I took it apart and stored it in the basement for the winter. I think I will apply Rust Check spray before setting it up again.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Your greenhouse looks great, Ariel!:) How big is it? What plants do you grow in it? I'd love to have a greenhouse too, but I don't even have my own garden yet;) I live in an apartment, so all my plants grow in pots indoors.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
It sounds like you started out with the same kind of greenhouse as I did. The plastic cover held out well through the winter, but our first hailstorm totally destroyed it even though the hailstones were really tiny. Those covers clearly aren't able to cope with the sun's UV rays. My stands lasted about three years and I was really lucky that I noticed the rust before they collapsed. The consequences could have been quite serious as I use my greenhouse for bonsai and I'd have been devastated if any of them had fallen and been destroyed.

Yeah, that was hubby's second try at getting me a greenhouse. I must say, he's gotten better over the years. ;) The One Stop Gardens greenhouse lasted me two years because I took it apart the first summer and stored it away from UV. The second year, I started to disassemble it and the plastic started flaking and cracking as I moved it. It was clear, I wasn't going to get another year out of it so I just left it up. By fall, I had a green plastic mesh over the frame with no plastic coating left on the top of the 'greenhouse'.

The first try got me a single upright shelf unit frame that had clear, solid black and mesh net covers that could go over them. This unit lasted about a year before it started failing, but I used it for storage until this winter. I tried using it in the greenhouse (it's in some pictures I posted https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/my-hfgh-and-the-benefit-of-reading-forums-first.4321/ here) but after so many years in the weather it came apart like tissue paper.

I have one of those metal ones also. I could not figure out how the water got in it. I took it apart and stored it in the basement for the winter. I think I will apply Rust Check spray before setting it up again.

That’s a good plan. I should have done that when I pulled these shelves apart the first time, but hopefully they’ll stay together long enough for me to build something better.

Your greenhouse looks great, Ariel!:) How big is it? What plants do you grow in it? I'd love to have a greenhouse too, but I don't even have my own garden yet;) I live in an apartment, so all my plants grow in pots indoors.

:D It’s not big, only 8’ x 6’, but I am packing it with everything I miss about summer and it seems way bigger.

Pots are how I started. In fact, I used to kill every plant I tried to grow until I found the one species that even I couldn’t kill, it was a type of aloe, not the one you normally see, but sort of a weedy thing that had a pretty red flower. Somehow, keeping that plant alive opened up the door for me to keep other kinds of plants alive too. So, don’t knock yourself down about starting with pots on a window sill, we probably all started that way too. ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
6x8 is lots of room when you figure out how to pack things in there. I also bought a 6 x 4 for the overflow. See, I told you it was addicting...:LOL:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Just a word of warning - keep on eye on that metal stand on the right of the photo. I had stands like that in my greenhouse and the poles rusted really badly because water got into the gaps between the poles and the plastic joiners. I eventually had to replace them with plastic stands.
3-in-1 oil (WD40) is the solution.
When assembling structures from those materials, spray some oil on the end of the pipe.

Oil and water don't mix.;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
:D It’s not big, only 8’ x 6’, but I am packing it with everything I miss about summer and it seems way bigger.

Pots are how I started. In fact, I used to kill every plant I tried to grow until I found the one species that even I couldn’t kill, it was a type of aloe, not the one you normally see, but sort of a weedy thing that had a pretty red flower. Somehow, keeping that plant alive opened up the door for me to keep other kinds of plants alive too. So, don’t knock yourself down about starting with pots on a window sill, we probably all started that way too. ;)
8'x6' is a lot of space for plants:D I'd love to have a greenhouse like this!
I had a garden when I lived in my parents' house. Now, I moved to an apartment. I'm very happy here, but I miss growing vegetables, so I'll definitely buy myself a few big containers and plant something in them soon:D

Ask a Question