Learning how to make stained glass windows

Gail_68

Beauty blooms in the garden as well as the heart.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Cleaned em all out now :D
Nice work Zigs...very nice ;)

We've got some right nosy neighbours around here and having vertical blinds doesn't help and as soon as the light goes on...all start viewing and I asked hubby to tan my windows with this stuff "Black out window film" and he's refused as he said it can peel in time :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Nice work Zigs...very nice ;)

We've got some right nosy neighbours around here and having vertical blinds doesn't help and as soon as the light goes on...all start viewing and I asked hubby to tan my windows with this stuff "Black out window film" and he's refused as he said it can peel in time :(
Actually I do that window film for a business. I have 2 stores. Yes the material you buy from the hardware will fail prematurely compared to what we use. Also, and more importantly, if it is dark but you can see through it, you will eventually go outside at night when the lights are on inside, and on that evening you will learn that what you thought you were doing in privacy was in fact not private at all. Light and other forms of energy flow from the high to the low, and whatever is illuminated inside will be visible to anyone out in the dark.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Actually I do that window film for a business. I have 2 stores. Yes the material you buy from the hardware will fail prematurely compared to what we use. Also, and more importantly, if it is dark but you can see through it, you will eventually go outside at night when the lights are on inside, and on that evening you will learn that what you thought you were doing in privacy was in fact not private at all. Light and other forms of energy flow from the high to the low, and whatever is illuminated inside will be visible to anyone out in the dark.
I agree @DirtMechanic !! I put some on the top window upstairs, just to add a bit of colour, and the sun shines through and makes patterns in the room. I'm afraid it wouldn't stop prying eyes though if it was on the downstairs windows :cautious:

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Lovely work zigs. :)

I'd love to have a go at stained glass work; I've had a brief look on the web for materials and found the glass rather expensive although as experience is gained cheaper glass can possibly be sourced?

I have however used lead came for the first time whilst restoring my two coach lamps. The side glass lens were falling out the crude clips having rusted away; I needed a better way to secure the glass and came up with the idea of using lead came so ordered a 2m length as an experiment.

This project took on a life of its own; I ended up virtually making new lamps in a slightly bigger size but out of aluminium. Ideally I'd have liked lens rubber seals but couldn't find anything suitable including auto windscreen seals so lead came was second choice. In order to install the lens the outer edges of the inner came were bent at right angles then once the lens were pushed home the edges were squeezed tightly against the lamp body; not perfect but a big improvement over the original fastenings. I soldered the mitred outside corners and I think once the lead and solder have weathered a bit the lamps should look OK. Both lamps only cost £3 the pair but it cost a great deal more before the lamps were finished.

Where I sit at the computer we have a small side window by the door that is screaming at me to be transformed with stained glass but at the moment it's much too cold to be playing around with bits of glass.

Kind regards, Colin.

One of the lamps showing the loose lens.

An original lamp with my home made lamp showing how the lead came was used. The paintwork has since been tidied and the colours match our bungalow exterior.

When I start a project it usually ends up totally different but then I love playing around in the workshop. This shows the lamp bottom the corner holes on purpose just in case of condensation to let it drain free.

The inside shot showing the lead came in position and painted black; I learned metal spinning during this project and spun highly polished aluminium reflectors. I enjoy tackling unusual projects.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Lovely work zigs. :)

I'd love to have a go at stained glass work; I've had a brief look on the web for materials and found the glass rather expensive although as experience is gained cheaper glass can possibly be sourced?

The stained glass I use costs £3.75 a sheet.

(Vodka for scale and medicinal purposes :) )

But you can use normal 4mm float glass and apply glass paints.

I buy the lead cames and paints from Amazon using vouchers I get from doing online surveys, so you could do that part quite cheaply.

There's a few myths floating about though, tallow candles (for flux) are very expensive. You can use normal flux for lead solder from the builders merchants.

Also, there is no reason that I can work out why they try to sell you horseshoe nails to hold the window while building it up? Panel pins are much cheaper.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ask a Question