I rescued a tree; can it be saved?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
The thread title reminds me of our mango tree which leaned on the neighbor's house as a result of the battering winds of typhoon Glenda last year. In our panic, we called some men to chop off the branches so it can be pulled to stand in its original position. With the branches, it would be heavy so we hat it chopped. Fortunately, the remaining leaves did not wither and die. Now that beloved mango tree of ours bore 2 fruits. Here's the photo of the second fruit before harvesting.
IMG_3120 apple mango RESIZED.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Good work Corzhens.(y) I'm sure mango tree is grateful to you for being looked after and will produces lots of fruit to repay you.:)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Welcome @Corzhens, and I'm glad you were able to save your mango tree (I love mangoes.) :)

Dave is hanging in there. The little shoot of leaves doesn't appear to be growing, but they're not dying either. Hopefully he's working on getting his roots re-established.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Welcome @Corzhens, and I'm glad you were able to save your mango tree (I love mangoes.) :)

Dave is hanging in there. The little shoot of leaves doesn't appear to be growing, but they're not dying either. Hopefully he's working on getting his roots re-established.

Sending out positive vibes to Dave:D. Maybe if we all join in he'll be bombarded from all over the world and blossom!!!!:love:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
@Beth_B, it really saddened us when the typhoon almost destroyed our mango tree. We didn't imagine that it would be felled by strong winds because it is standing in middle of our house and that of the neighbor. One neighbor said that it was a small tornado that hit our tree hence it was leaning and was saved by the neighbor's house. Here's the photo right after the strong wind hit it.
IMG_4927 typhoon glenda.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
May I add another photo of our poor mango tree that you see in the above post. Since it was leaning on the neighbor's house, we were afraid that it would destroy the wall so we immediately called for help. A group of men came to chop off the big branches. After the trimming, we were able to prop it up to a more comfortable position.

From the looks of it, you wouldn't think that it would still grow. Fortunately, it did grow and bore 2 nice fruits this summer.
IMG_4988 mango tree.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well your mango tree certainly made a good comeback, @Corzhens ! Hopefully next year you'll get more than two mangoes. :) Is that a young palm tree of some type, second on the right?

I am happy to report that Dave's one shoot is developing new leaves. And there are a couple of tiny nubbins of new growth on his trunk, I just saw this morning! Go, Dave, go. (y)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
Your mango tree does look a bit bare Corzhens. How resilient to come back and produce again.(y)
And great news about Dave BethB. All those vibes must have helped:LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Thanks DJ! If we don't have (yet again) another utterly brutal winter and Dave makes it through, I'm hoping he'll put out some more definitive growth next spring. The dogs have decided he's a daily pee post and I am not sure if that is helping or hurting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The positive vibes are working, y'all! :)
Here is Dave six weeks later. Compare this photo with the one in my first post.
Dave.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
(y)Dave......that head chopping off must have just been " a flesh wound" for Dave. There's obviously no stopping him

LOL! Yes I think he is looking pretty good, given his circumstances. I have no idea how long before he gets actual branches again. Next year? In two years?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm sad to say, Dave has, I am pretty sure, passed away. :cry:
Almost overnight, all his leaves died and there's no evidence of new growth anywhere and the trunk is dry under the bark.
RIP, Dave. :(

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
You gave it your best try--sorry Dave didn't survive. Not many people would have gone to the lengths to save that tree, so I congratulate you for trying.

Ask a Question