What is this tree??

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I've had this tree growing in my bathroom for ten years. It belonged to my daughter, and when she moved from our city, she couldn't take it with her. It was in pretty sorry shape when I inherited it, but has revived quite nicely under the giant skylight in the bathroom.
So, now I'd like to know what kind of tree this is, AND what can I do for it because recently it is losing lots of leaves.
Many thanks,
janice

Attachments

• pt_1545074836011.jpg
    pt_1545074836011.jpg
    151.6 KB · Views: 229
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Janice, your tree looks like a Ficus Bejamina to me. Well done for rescuing it. The tree will like to be in good light, and usually the reason for leaf loss is incorrect watering. I believe they like to dry out a fair bit in between watering. They tend to play up with either under or over doing it :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
It is handsome. Fig, yes, but leaves too big for benjamina. Leaf size in-between F. benjamina and elastica, it could be potbound if you haven't repotted. Ten years is a long time. Ordinarily it would lose the inner leaves as the branches extend and you would keep it in-bounds by pruning the tips. Evident new growth says it's happy and growing now so repot it, removing heavy, thick roots which are anchor roots, in favor of saving tiny hair-like roots which are feeder roots. Keep doing what you have been doing for ten years!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
The leaves look very similar to a strangler fig I had in Florida. (Ficus aura). It looks as if this one is free standing which I’m not sure a strangler can do. Has it ever produced flowers or fruit.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
The leaves look very similar to a strangler fig I had in Florida. (Ficus aura). It looks as if this one is free standing which I’m not sure a strangler can do. Has it ever produced flowers or fruit.
It has only ever produced little round somethings....like the size of blueberries. They are hard though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
It is handsome. Fig, yes, but leaves too big for benjamina. Leaf size in-between F. benjamina and elastica, it could be potbound if you haven't repotted. Ten years is a long time. Ordinarily it would lose the inner leaves as the branches extend and you would keep it in-bounds by pruning the tips. Evident new growth says it's happy and growing now so repot it, removing heavy, thick roots which are anchor roots, in favor of saving tiny hair-like roots which are feeder roots. Keep doing what you have been doing for ten years!
I'm sure it would probably benefit by being repotted, however I am a 70 year old woman and the tree weighs more than I can lift. I think it is even too heavy for the man who carried it up the stairs to the bathroom. Guess I'll have to start pruning it.
Thanks for the reply.
janice

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Hi Janice, your tree looks like a Ficus Bejamina to me. Well done for rescuing it. The tree will like to be in good light, and usually the reason for leaf loss is incorrect watering. I believe they like to dry out a fair bit in between watering. They tend to play up with either under or over doing it :)
Thanks so much.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
I'm sure it would probably benefit by being repotted, however I am a 70 year old woman and the tree weighs more than I can lift. I think it is even too heavy for the man who carried it up the stairs to the bathroom. Guess I'll have to start pruning it.
Thanks for the reply.
janice
Proper pruning won't contravene the necessity to repot periodically. I'd bet that there is some young person in your orbit that is a greenthumb type and would be pleased to repot it for you for peanuts. You would need to pay for some soil and a little labor, but you have a nice houseplant and just the right place for it, and it has favorable provenance. If you are a member of a church or other social group, just posting your need could bring a Good Samaritan out of the woodwork. Keep your ears open as you meander about and you'll hear someone you can trust that sounds like a plantsman. People like to do good deeds, and finite opportunities are often more welcome than you might guess.

You have a handsome plant that shows that you are watering it correctly. It looks good and with a repotting, it should outlive you. Then, your daughter may want it back. Think of "the rest of the story" that she can tell your grandchildren!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Treeguy, I am writing to thank you. I was finally able to repot my lovely tree, and It looks so much more comfortable. I wasn't able to remove the anchor roots, but I'm hoping that won't present a problem.
I truly appreciate your advice, AND what seems to be your general positive attitude. Thanks for both.
janice
20190403_105853.jpg

Ask a Question