I rescued a tree; can it be saved?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Client dug up and was throwing away a little ornamental Japanese maple because the top leaves were dying off. As you can see, they lopped the whole top off but the tree is still putting out a few shoots and there seems enough of a root ball to be viable? I just brought it home.

I am not that knowledgeable about trees, but I hated to see it be thrown out. I have lots of space and can plunk it somewhere sunny and see what happens if it's got a chance. Any ideas or tips?

tree1.jpg
tree2.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Japanese maples appreciate some shade. If you don't plant it, it certainly will not survive, so give it a shot. I'd keep it well watered but not soggy, in morning sun/afternoon shade, and never expect it to be perfectly shaped. The final shape could be interesting, though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Yay! Shade I have really a lot of. Rain too. :) I've just been reading up on them.
I will plant it somewhere in the morning - somewhere in my back yard, I think.
I just hated to see that poor wee thing struggling to put out new growth despite being beheaded, and sitting at the curb for the trash truck. I do not live in a perfectly-manicured neighborhood, to say the least so I will put it in the ground and see what happens.
I have a maple tree that at some point before I bought this place fell over onto the ground and started growing from a horizontal position in my back yard. I have resisted all efforts to get me to remove it because I think it it sort of charming and brave that it just keeps growing like that.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
I'm with you BethB. I have a rhododendron which was a bit of an ugly duckling. I moved it several times and it just kept on growing but still not pretty!! I couldn't bring myself get rid of it. It would be like disowning a child just cause it wasn't pretty enough!!! :( It grew like it was against a wall so I decided to position it against a nice metal screen and pretended I'd always intended it to be espaliered. I've also planted a clematis with it so it looks like I designed It, I like to think. This is a big secret so its just between us!!! Not at its best now but I'll post a photo when it flowers. :LOL::LOL:
Good luck with your " Anne Boleyn Maple". Most unkind thing to do to any one or any plant.:(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6A
Country
United States
I'd plant it also. Spread the roots out , give some good soil and see what happens.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You people are gardeners after my own heart. :)

@DeborahJane, it took me a minute to get the Anne Boleyn reference! And I also have a rhododendron bush that someone was throwing out and I felt sorry for - I'm glad I rescued it because it's one of the first things to flower in my yard with a mass of dark pink blooms.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Way to go Beth - good luck with your fledgling tree. I'm glad you rescued it!
I was thinking about planting a fig tree in my yard. My grandmother who I barely knew, had a fig tree growing on her roof in New York City. Surely it would grow in Massachusetts ! :). My visions of making fig jam are a bit premature I guess . . .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@PipGirl, a fig tree would be awesome! I just realized - I'm about to get some dead and sick trees removed and many large branches trimmed because I'm complaining about having too much shade, and here I am about to plant another tree. Oh well, it doesn't look as if it's going to provide much shade any time soon LOL.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
Australia
You people are gardeners after my own heart. :)

@DeborahJane, it took me a minute to get the Anne Boleyn reference! And I also have a rhododendron bush that someone was throwing out and I felt sorry for - I'm glad I rescued it because it's one of the first things to flower in my yard with a mass of dark pink blooms.

It's saying thank you Beth B:ROFLMAO:(y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Well my stick is in the ground now! I dug a big hole and mixed some "organic" fertilizer in with the soil. Just have to mulch it now. I put it where it will get lots of morning sun, but will be somewhat shaded in the afternoon.

I've named it Dave. :D Hopefully Dave makes it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I'm so glad you're trying to save it. It looks like he really wants to live. It really sounds like your giving it a really good fighting chance with what you have done.

I feel so bad for sickly looking plants/trees. Don't let me look at the plants at Walmart, I want to save them all :(.

I hope you keep everyone updated on Dave. :):D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@Rudygar , too funny....I rescue plants all the time and feel sorry for those poor Walmart ones too.
So far so good. Hard to tell since Dave is basically a stick in the ground (LOL) but the little leaves sprouting near the top are still alive.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
@Beth_B , It's such a shame isn't it? I have asked a few times if they would reduce the price of a DEAD plant, but no, they never can, Even though i'm sure it just gets thrown away. A crime against nature!

Ask a Question