Can my watermelon be rescued?

Te3

Reaction score
Country
Australia
DSC00223.JPG
DSC00224.jpg
Hi everyone,

Since the last lot of rain my poor watermelon plant has gone south. It went from a lively plant to a plant that looks like it's dying.
Can it be rescued?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry to hear that your watermelon didn't enjoy the recent rain :( I have never grown them myself I'm afraid, but hopefully someone here will be able to offer some words of advice!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
View attachment 9792 View attachment 9793 Hi everyone,

Since the last lot of rain my poor watermelon plant has gone south. It went from a lively plant to a plant that looks like it's dying.
Can it be rescued?
Hard to say without more info. The soil still looks wet in the first pic. What time of day was it and how hot was it when these pics were taken and how much rain did you get?

Te3

Reaction score
Country
Australia
The soil is still wet as we got down pour for 4 days. It rains, stops, becomes hot and humid then rains again.
My rockmelon and honeydew are fine but not my watermelon :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It looks to me like it is just waterlogged and the heat has made it wilt. Is it still wilted in the mornings? I think if it ever dries out it will be OK.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I'm sorry to say that your watermelon is dying. From the looks of it, the wilting was caused by excessive heat that I'd say is the direct sunlight. If it can still be saved, I suggest that you put an artificial shade like a portable table so the heat of the sun will dissipate. With waterlogged, it can be. Too much water when heated by the sun tends to boil thereby subjecting the watermelon into a sort of cooking.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Like @Corzhens I think it is beyond resurrection from the look of it. Mother nature has a mind of her own and I hope by some miracles your watermelon will survive.

Te3

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I put a shade cloth over it and gave it some eco-seaweed and eco-dehydrator.
I guess i will have to see how it goes.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I can't tell if your watermelon can be saved. It's hard to tell from pictures. It's definitely worth trying thought. Are there any seeds from watermelon fruits you can at least save and replant for next year? At a minimum you can get some use from this plant for next year.

Te3

Reaction score
Country
Australia
I couldn't save all of it as we had a few 40 degree days. I gave it seaweed and dehydrator but only 2 vines survived.
I seeded more, hopefully our summer in Australia doesn't get too hot anymore.

Reaction score
Country
United States
That wilting is a sure sign of too much heat. @Te3 You said earlier your rockmelon and honeydew are fine. Are they in shaded areas for any part of the day depending on the movement of the sun? Has this ever happened before and is this the first time water melon has been planted in this area? I'm just investigating the scenarios because that plant sure looks beaten up after a good rain. Ironic.

Te3

Reaction score
Country
Australia
The rockmelon and honeydew are just below it and are thriving *knock on wood*
It happened last year too but it was in a different section.
I don't think heavy rain, wind, humidity and then heat going in a weird cycle helps either.
I hate our spring weather as now it's a mix of storms and heat as if it's summer.
Hopefully the next lot works out.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
One of the fun things about gardening you will have a few bad experiences with some plants in the process of learning and then it will all take off and you will have some great crops from what you learned as you played with the other plants that died.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Okay then. Well let's all just hope you get a great harvest of watermelons next time round. The mixed weather, like you said, may have had that bad effect. I hope the other crops double up their yield so loss in one area just translates to maxed out gains in another area. Gardening is an ongoing, interesting story so don't feel too bad.

Reaction score
From the looks of your watermelon, I don't know if this can be rescued. I want to say that there is a possibility, but sadly I don't think it's very likely. If they have been over watered, I think it's best to let them be for a day or so until the dirt isn't as moist. I would slowly incorporate your regular routine and hope for the best. I hope your watermelon plants revive themselves!

Ask a Question