I can't grow plants/flowers from seed

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Trellum, I have some stuff bookmarked via Pinterest on seed collecting and seed starting. There is a lot of information out there and the more you know and understand about the process, the more successful you will be. Also, for plants that are more difficult to start from seed, you'll be able to figure out other options for propagation.

Starting seeds:
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/321796335845096986/

Seed Soaking:
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/321796335844978395/

Seed viability:
http://www.pinterest.com/pin/321796335844819089/

Seed Biology:
http://crescentok.com/staff/jaskew/ISR/botzo/class12.htm

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for sharing those links, you're very kind and helpful :) I'll definitely check those links, but I don't have a pinterest account at the moment, I hope that isn't a problem! I'm really eager to learn more about seeds and how to from plants from them, because until now I had been avoiding working with seeds like the plague! :D:LOL:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
You're quite welcome! I hope the information proves useful for you. I finally set some nasturtium seeds out recently and they seem to have sprouted so I'm kind of excited about that. Hopefully the insects will let the plants live long enough to actually produce flowers. I'm looking forward to playing around with nasturtium recipes.

Reaction score
Hi Chanel! I didn't know a lot about nasturtiums, so I googled them. I felt very curious when you mentioned ''recipes'', and to my surprise I found this:

nasturtiumantipasto2.jpg

2009_04_27-Nasturtium02.jpg

images

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Those salads all look interesting, Trellum. My nasturtium seeds sprouted right away so I will probably plant some more soon. I want to have enough leaves to be able to try making nasturtium pesto. I don't think I realized the leaves were edible the last time I grew them. I'd mainly planted them to deter aphids, so this will be a completely new adventure.

Reaction score
I had no idea the leaves were edible as well! I just read a post about broccoli leaves being edible as well, who'd have ever thought, huh! I didn't even know you could cook with those flowers until you said it last time :giggle: Well... if for some reason humanity can't eat more animals, at least we know we'd not starve to deal :D so many things we can eat in the nature ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Well, you do realize that the only reason people eat as much meat as they do is because of the creation of supermarkets and advances in transportation, refrigeration, and animal husbandry (not necessarily in good ways either.) In the early part of the last century people didn't have the option to eat so many animals unless they went out and hunted and/or trapped to get them.

Even the parts of plants that you don't eat, like spinach stems and the stalk part of the broccoli can still be used to create soups. Scraps of onions, carrots, etc., that you trim off can be used to make stock. Actually, if you peel the broccoli stalk you can steam it and eat it like any other vegetable.

Reaction score
Yeah, plus most people like beef and other meats, they eat it to keep a ''varied'' diet, just like I do. But to be honest I'm no longer a fan chicken or beef. I could live happily not eating that for a couple of months... there is something about the taste, it might be just me tho. Maybe I caught something, but this doesn't happen when I eat fish. As for the broccoli stalk... good tip! You can make a nice vegetable soup with that,.. I'd cut it in small dices and no one would ever ask what it is ;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I don't eat beef at all; it's hard to digest and I just don't care for it. I'm not really in love with chicken and turkey either, so I rarely eat those. I don't eat pork and all, or any kind of game or fowl. I grew up eating seafood, but I don't have to have that every day or even every week. I don't like all the manipulation of farm raised "foods" and wild caught fish and so forth has other issues like pollution.

I do the same thing with asparagus. I trim the very bottom, then cut the tops (3 inches?) and steam them. Then I do the same to the rest of the stem that is usable but a little tougher. Then I puree the bottom half of the stem with a bit of vegetable stock (homemade) for a quick soup.

Reaction score
@Trellum That pasta salad looks amazing! I really do need to try eating nasturtiums!

I have problems starting seeds inside as well. When you plant your seeds try to find some way to keep the bottom of the container warm. I have done this by putting the container on top of the fridge (fridge gets warm on top) or by using a heating pad or something of the sort under the container. You really have to keep an eye on it and not let the heating pad get too hot and also not let it get too cold but this seems to help a bit. There is a project I saw online where a guy took old Christmas lights and used them along with a bag of sand (kind used in kids sand boxes) and an old metal baking dish that was no good anymore and made a little warmer for the bottom of his sprouts this way. Make sure the baking dish is at least an inch deep and fill it with the Christmas lights and put the sand on top of the lights. You can sit your containers on something and then sit it directly on top of the baking dish. The Christmas lights get warm and heat up the sand and your plant bottoms as well! I hope we try this during our experiment this year. I will keep a journal and take plenty of photos for this to share.

Reaction score
Awesome tip, Shelly :D Thanks for sharing! I had no idea it was a good idea to heat the bottom of a container. I can't believe how much I'm learning! Is this good for all the plant seeds in general or this can be done successfully with just a few of them? I'll definitely see if I can get some christmas lights, and sand... I have an old baking dish that would be perfect for this task ;) I'd be very interested to read your findings, so if you do... please share it here :)

Reaction score
I don't eat beef at all; it's hard to digest and I just don't care for it. I'm not really in love with chicken and turkey either, so I rarely eat those. I don't eat pork and all, or any kind of game or fowl. I grew up eating seafood, but I don't have to have that every day or even every week. I don't like all the manipulation of farm raised "foods" and wild caught fish and so forth has other issues like pollution.

I do the same thing with asparagus. I trim the very bottom, then cut the tops (3 inches?) and steam them. Then I do the same to the rest of the stem that is usable but a little tougher. Then I puree the bottom half of the stem with a bit of vegetable stock (homemade) for a quick soup.

So... you are semi-vegetarian? I personally like turkey... but the taste of beef and chicken just make me feel like :sick: Have you thought of going entirely vegetarian? This can be really easy if you no longer have to cook for someone else, or if you haven't small children living with you. I'd go for something similar if I lived alone, at least a more varied and healthier diet. But sadly I'm not that creative when cooking with vegetables and such :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
So... you are semi-vegetarian? I personally like turkey... but the taste of beef and chicken just make me feel like :sick: Have you thought of going entirely vegetarian? This can be really easy if you no longer have to cook for someone else, or if you haven't small children living with you. I'd go for something similar if I lived alone, at least a more varied and healthier diet. But sadly I'm not that creative when cooking with vegetables and such :(

I would say I am 95% vegetarian. I still like a small amount of fish on occasion and other seafood (I LOVE scallops), but mostly I eat vegetables and rice. I've been more careful about rice consumption since the arsenic revelation, and I have cut back on pasta and stuff with gluten. I really like cheese, so I don't see giving that up, but I just eat what I like - including small amounts of sugar.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
@Trellum ...There is a project I saw online where a guy took old Christmas lights and used them along with a bag of sand (kind used in kids sand boxes) and an old metal baking dish that was no good anymore and made a little warmer for the bottom of his sprouts this way...

A rack you'd normally use for cooling that was slightly smaller than the pan would be a good way to elevate the seed containers. Last year I started seeds indoors on the windowsill in August with no problem. I guess it has something to do with where the sun is and how much light is getting in. Just as you think you have things worked out, the sun's movement changes.

Reaction score
Awesome tip, Shelly :D Thanks for sharing! I had no idea it was a good idea to heat the bottom of a container. I can't believe how much I'm learning! Is this good for all the plant seeds in general or this can be done successfully with just a few of them? I'll definitely see if I can get some christmas lights, and sand... I have an old baking dish that would be perfect for this task ;) I'd be very interested to read your findings, so if you do... please share it here :)

I had hoped to already have my little green house experiment already started but I have not. We still need to get the sand. I will let you know how it goes. I am crossing my fingers that it works. Will start a thread on it when I get it under way (with pics.)

A rack you'd normally use for cooling that was slightly smaller than the pan would be a good way to elevate the seed containers. Last year I started seeds indoors on the windowsill in August with no problem. I guess it has something to do with where the sun is and how much light is getting in. Just as you think you have things worked out, the sun's movement changes.

Yes this is so true a rack would be perfect. If you bury the lights deep enough so that they do not touch the bottom of the container that you plant the seeds in you can probably forego the rack all together. I have searched the house over and I don't have a rack to use so I am going to bury the lights deep and place the container directly on the sand.

Ask a Question