Can't find my garlic

Reaction score
Country
United States
I grew garlic for the first time. Trimmed the curly Q flower stems off and just waited. The weeds did get away from me and now I can't find my Garlic. There are no hard stocks. I've been digging trying to find it with no luck. Although I know there is some there because I must have disrupted some bulbs because a week after digging I had new garlic shoots growing up in my pile of soil I dug up next to the row. What should I do to find this garlic. I didn't even see garlic when I was digging.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Sarahlyne, when did you plant the garlic? It would also be very helpful if we knew what part/zone of the USA you are in. Garlic is planted at different times in different places. Here in central Texas, we plant in mid to late October, and harvest in the spring.
Below the Mason/Dixon line, garlic is planted in the fall, little green shoots come up, and then it overwinters. In the early spring it starts to grow. The curlyque stems are called "scapes" and are edible. When the garlic leaves start to turn yellow and flop over, it's time to harvest.
Hang your freshly harvested garlic out of sunlight but with good air circulation, and depending on the humidity, you should be able to cut off the dried leaves, remove the dirty paper covering (but not all of it, just the outer covering) and bring it in to enjoy in the kitchen.
https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/garlic-harvest.14222/ This discussion may be of help to you.

Ask a Question