I can't grow plants/flowers from seed

Reaction score
I have mixed results with seeds. I have grown cantaloupe, carrots, lettuce and onions. I had no luck with broccoli at all this year. I tried twice both with the same results. Nothing. I did cucumbers this year and while they came up, they did not look like they were supposed to. The first 2 were fine but after that they were small but fat and they were orange/yellow instead of green. I prefer buying plants over seeds.

Reaction score
I would say I am 95% vegetarian. I still like a small amount of fish on occasion and other seafood (I LOVE scallops), but mostly I eat vegetables and rice. I've been more careful about rice consumption since the arsenic revelation, and I have cut back on pasta and stuff with gluten. I really like cheese, so I don't see giving that up, but I just eat what I like - including small amounts of sugar.

That sounds like a really healthy diet!!! I had heard something about the arsenic, too bad we love eating a lot rice over here, I guess we're all doomed :D I personally can't stand the taste of chicken or beef in high doses, so I might start doing the same you do :)

Reaction score
Wow, you sounds like you're really good at growing things from seed!! So far my only success has been with cucumbers and morning glories... and the morning glory seeds practically planted themselves ;) They do that, I mean... they just need to touch the soil and that's it! They're such a bunch of easy growers...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
That sounds like a really healthy diet!!! I had heard something about the arsenic, too bad we love eating a lot rice over here, I guess we're all doomed :D I personally can't stand the taste of chicken or beef in high doses, so I might start doing the same you do :)

The way I understand it, there are two kinds of arsenic and the non-organic kind is worse. It really depends though on what kind of rice you're eating and where it was grown. Not all rice presents this issue.

Yes this is so true a rack would be perfect. If you bury the lights deep enough so that they do not touch the bottom of the container that you plant the seeds in you can probably forego the rack all together. I have searched the house over and I don't have a rack to use so I am going to bury the lights deep and place the container directly on the sand.

I wonder though, Shellyann, what would happen to those lights with all the moisture. Even though you wouldn't water the seeds heavily, there's bound to some water dripping down into the pan. Does the sand somehow offer some protection for the lights?

Reaction score
The way I understand it, there are two kinds of arsenic and the non-organic kind is worse. It really depends though on what kind of rice you're eating and where it was grown. Not all rice presents this issue.

I wonder though, Shellyann, what would happen to those lights with all the moisture. Even though you wouldn't water the seeds heavily, there's bound to some water dripping down into the pan. Does the sand somehow offer some protection for the lights?

The way I am going to set mine up is this. I have several of the plastic salad type containers with the lids on them that you get at grocery stores and fast food places. I am going to use toilet paper rolls as seed starters and put them inside of the salad containers. I am going to sit this container on the styrofoam meat trays ( I have saved many of them from grocery shopping and cleaned them thoroughly with bleach). I will sit the styrofoam container on the top of the sand and lights or if I am lucky I will find a rack of some sort to sit the styrofoam container on. If this does not work out and the lights/sand are too hot for the styrofoam container then the next option is to use an old baking pan to sit everything else on. It sounds like a bunch of jibberish but I hope my method works!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
@Shellyann36, I don't think that is going to work. If you want to grow rice in containers you need five gallon buckets. I've seen images of it done in areas where they couldn't do it the traditional way. There's a video on you tube of a man harvesting - he had plants going in something like 20 buckets. I think I started a discussion about it a while back...

Reaction score
@Shellyann36, I don't think that is going to work. If you want to grow rice in containers you need five gallon buckets. I've seen images of it done in areas where they couldn't do it the traditional way. There's a video on you tube of a man harvesting - he had plants going in something like 20 buckets. I think I started a discussion about it a while back...

No rice growing planned with the small set up. Just seed starting. I think you confused me with @Trellum

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
No rice growing planned with the small set up. Just seed starting. I think you confused me with @Trellum

It appears you're correct, lol. Not sure what I was thinking. I've tried using plastic containers from salads, berries and tomatoes to start seeds and it hasn't worked for me. Either they don't get enough heat and light or they get too much, and because of the moisture inside they mildew. I guess for the time being I will stick to seedlings until I get a bit more leisure time.

Reaction score
It appears you're correct, lol. Not sure what I was thinking. I've tried using plastic containers from salads, berries and tomatoes to start seeds and it hasn't worked for me. Either they don't get enough heat and light or they get too much, and because of the moisture inside they mildew. I guess for the time being I will stick to seedlings until I get a bit more leisure time.

I have read so much about them and apparently you have to watch them very closely and open/close the lids often to assure that they don't get too hot, cold or even wet. I am quite sure that I will mess up lots! That is, if I ever get around to it. Right now I don't have enough time or enough money to get it started. I need a grow light and I can't afford it. :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have read so much about them and apparently you have to watch them very closely and open/close the lids often to assure that they don't get too hot, cold or even wet. I am quite sure that I will mess up lots! That is, if I ever get around to it. Right now I don't have enough time or enough money to get it started. I need a grow light and I can't afford it. :(

My mom and I just had this conversation. She said something about using plastic bags as cloches and said it didn't work for me and she said you have to go out and remove them once the sun is up. Yeah, right. Because I have all the time in the world to do that every morning, not to mention go out and cover everything every evening (as if I am always home!) Of course, she hasn't put anything under a cloche yet either...

Reaction score
My mom and I just had this conversation. She said something about using plastic bags as cloches and said it didn't work for me and she said you have to go out and remove them once the sun is up. Yeah, right. Because I have all the time in the world to do that every morning, not to mention go out and cover everything every evening (as if I am always home!) Of course, she hasn't put anything under a cloche yet either...

Yep it is one of those things that requires lots of attention and the attention has to be on a schedule. I would have to set alarms on my cell phone to remind me of it. I am even shaking my own head thinking about it. LOL :ROFLMAO:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Yep it is one of those things that requires lots of attention and the attention has to be on a schedule. I would have to set alarms on my cell phone to remind me of it. I am even shaking my own head thinking about it. LOL :ROFLMAO:

I think I am going to have to put a hold on acquiring anymore food plants and just focus on low maintenance stuff. I almost never go outside anymore - that is when I'm here - my poor plants are so neglected. I am hoping to dedicate some time to them tomorrow, but I know I can forget about trying to start any new plants from seed. That is just not happening.

Reaction score
I think I am going to have to put a hold on acquiring anymore food plants and just focus on low maintenance stuff. I almost never go outside anymore - that is when I'm here - my poor plants are so neglected. I am hoping to dedicate some time to them tomorrow, but I know I can forget about trying to start any new plants from seed. That is just not happening.

Well it sounds as if you are having such great adventures in your regular life the garden will just have to go to the back burner for a bit. I am so happy for you. Congrats to you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Well it sounds as if you are having such great adventures in your regular life the garden will just have to go to the back burner for a bit. I am so happy for you. Congrats to you!

LOL, thanks! I think when spring comes around I will have to restrict myself to plants that are very low maintenance and herbs.

Reaction score
LOL, thanks! I think when spring comes around I will have to restrict myself to plants that are very low maintenance and herbs.

You are very welcome! I know you worked hard to get so busy with outside life. I am glad it is paying off for you.

Ask a Question