You can't help scratching your head....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
.........when you have a flat of seedlings come up and only one, in the whole flat looks like it's on steroids while ALL the others look like they're anemic, compared to it.
20180922_165417-1.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
.........when you have a flat of seedlings come up and only one, in the whole flat looks like it's on steroids while ALL the others look like they're anemic, compared to it.View attachment 45167
The ugly duckling? This should be interesting. Tie a ribbon on it so you don't lose track.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
David: You are lucky that they have all germinated. Some have to go to the fridge to be chilled for months and some have to be smoked .. At least they have come up. I love those unfussy and responsive ones!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
They're Brussels Sprouts. I will follow up with it's progressive comparison with the others.
Don't be surprised if it isn't a brussel sprout. It is probably not the same plant as the others because of the fuzzy hairy stem. You should be able to tell when the second set of true leaves show. Could be a different variety. Seed packets often have strange things in them. I once planted yellow crookneck squash and had a few luffa gourds in the bunch.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Don't be surprised if it isn't a brussel sprout. It is probably not the same plant as the others because of the fuzzy hairy stem. You should be able to tell when the second set of true leaves show. Could be a different variety. Seed packets often have strange things in them. I once planted yellow crookneck squash and had a few luffa gourds in the bunch.
I had wondered if that was what it was..... NOT a Brussels Sprout, being TOTALLY different in appearance, down to the shape and size of the seed leaves. Gonna "baby" it to maturity.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I would guess it is still a brassica, probably a brocolli.
May be.......but I, also, have a flat of broccoli seedlings and they look more like the B.S. seedlings than the one "in question".....course, it could be a different kind of broccoli, too.........

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Since the sun's path has moved further to the south.... FULL sun is almost nonexistent on the raised beds, sooooo....the undetermined Schwarzenegger plant will have a pot all to itself so it CAN be placed in FULL sun. Determined to see just what this plant turns out to be......it DEFINITELY is not developing like the other Brussels sprouts seedlings.
20180929_101424-1.jpg

Ask a Question