Aphid on milkweed. I can't spray them.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
IMG_2825.JPG

Do you see it? I have some whiteflies and aphids on the milkweed. Should I just leave them be?

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I've read to just spray them with water with enough force that they fall off and they won't be able to crawl back on. I've never done anything with them, but I've heard if the infestation is bad enough, Monarch butterflies will avoid those plants when laying eggs. Oleander aphids are almost a guarantee with milkweed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
hand squish the aphid or you will get more. it also looks like one of the buds has an egg on it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Use a forcefull stream of water on them. It might take 2 or 3 times but it will work. And it won't hurt anyone else who might be living there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
If they get too bad I just throw on a vinyl exam glove and squish away. I have excellent water pressure, and yet have never been able to remove them by spraying water at them. Sticky little critters!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Won't ladybugs eat the caterpillar eggs?

I have a small update. I checked on a lower leaf, and it was infested with those aphids. I killed them all by hand. I ordered ladybugs online. Can I release them near the milkweed? Will they harm the live caterpillars

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Won't ladybugs eat the caterpillar eggs?

I have a small update. I checked on a lower leaf, and it was infested with those aphids. I killed them all by hand. I ordered ladybugs online. Can I release them near the milkweed? Will they harm the live caterpillars
Yes you can release them right onto the milkweed, and no they will not harm the cats. Just a word of caution. When you do release the ladybugs, make you do it at night. or many if not all will fly away.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
speaking of this plant. my recent garden mag. featured the Cinderella swamp milkweed variety. so pretty. anyway, it reads that there are 140 species of milkweed. looking forward to reading up on all of them. we still have a garden area that needs more stuff planted, down in the valley, which is about 100 paces from our back door. As we lean toward plants that help mother nature this will be a great choice. the Cinderella only goes 3 foot wide and 4 foot tall, would want a larger variety.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
speaking of this plant. my recent garden mag. featured the Cinderella swamp milkweed variety. so pretty. anyway, it reads that there are 140 species of milkweed. looking forward to reading up on all of them. we still have a garden area that needs more stuff planted, down in the valley, which is about 100 paces from our back door. As we lean toward plants that help mother nature this will be a great choice. the Cinderella only goes 3 foot wide and 4 foot tall, would want a larger variety.
Here's a great site on milkweeds. If you are looking for native milkweeds local to your area, click on 'Locate milkweed' , then click on the state you live in.

Ask a Question