How to kill aphid eggs?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
It seems to me that aphids only like my butternut squash plant. The plant is young, and I see quite a bit of aphid eggs on the undersides. I tried removing them by hand, but it's almost like they're physically glued to the plant.

What solution mixed with water will kill aphid eggs?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Hi CrazyConure, Aphids don't lay eggs, they are live bearers. What you may be seeing is lady bug eggs. Could you take a picture of them. I would hate for you to kill off those lady bugs. Lady bug larvae kinda have an alligator look to them and they bite.
lady bug eggs

upload_2017-5-15_7-42-58.png

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
I can't tell from your picture if the eggs are rice shaped and standing up on their end. I suspect they are not because lady bugs lay their eggs in clutches like the pic I posted. Have you seen any lady bugs in that area of your garden?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
What I think you have are eggs of the sweet potato white fly. I think this because of the randomness of the eggs. Sweet potato white flys also like to lay on squash plants. The way to kill eggs, other than to let them hatch and then kill who ever hatches out, is to smother the eggs. And to smother the eggs use Neem or horticultural oil. Or just squish them

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
I think you're right! I saw 3 whiteflies on the squash plant, and I killed them all. I didn't know there were specific white flies. Thank you!

Ask a Question