Will OG Kill my lawn for good?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5B
Country
United States
I need to kill off a large section of weeds (nothing redeeming about the area, it needs to be killed off).

I was advised to mix vinegar, salt, and dish soap.

Someone mentioned to me that if I ever wast to plant anything there again (and I do), the salt will kill it for good. Is there any truth to that? If there is, how can I kill off about 800 sq ft in a way that will allow me to actually grow grass/flowers/veggies in the future?

Thanks

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Vinegar, preferable horticultural vinegar (higher acid content) all by itself will kill weeds. It doesn't have a lasting effect, so you can plant in the area.
Also, if you are patient, you can solarize the area. Either cover it with pegged down black plastic or plain old cardboard, and after about two months (depending on your temperatures) the weeds and roots will be dead, and you can rake off the debris and turn the soil over to remove the roots. The problem with solarizing is that it also kills the needed microbes for plant health, so you will need to add compost to the area about two weeks before planting.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
salt is what the Romans did to an enemys fields. Nothing would grow for quite some time. Use either pickling (12%) vinegar or horticultural vinegar (22%). You will have to apply more than once. The best receipe is one gallon vinegar, 2 oz orange oil (d'Limonene) and a squirt of dish soap. Apply in the heat of the day and do not dilute. You will start to see the effects in 1/2 hour.

Ask a Question