Can't Figure out what plant this it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I found this plant behind my house down in the woods near a creek i live in North Carolina and i have never seen it before please if you know what it is can you tell me had no luck finding out.
20170909_155100.jpg
20170909_155100.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looks like a Jack-in-the-pulpit (Arisaema Triphyllum) that has gone to seed. Mark the spot so you can see the Jack next year!
that's what i thought first but it has no hood and it has never gotten one always just the leaves and red seeds

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
By the time it has seeds, the Jack is long gone. Look very early in the Spring, as the hood is a "flower".

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Jack-in-the-Pulpit (Arisaema triphylla) is a cormous perennial herb native to central and eastern North America.
There are over 200 species of Arisaema found in Africa, Arabia, Asia and western Pacific Islands, but only two species are native to North America. The other American species is Green Dragon (Arisaema dracontium).

Arisaema triphyllum in flower.
Q3YTXVGoTL0xf1MZY4xWP7kD4LT7ePFffZfpNNPC.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Addendum: There is a third North American species: Arisaema macrospathum, native to southern Mexico.

Ask a Question