You can't help scratching your head....

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Well I suspect a jumper seed then. I noticed today when I was seeding the fall garden that the dried seeds had a mind of their own as to where they were going as they came out of that little bag. Must be true at the seed nursery too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
STILL has me stumped......
20181018_163430.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I know ANYTHING is possible, but I haven't, even, had any watermelon seeds to get "mixed in".......the seed this plant came from was a teeny-tiny seed........

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I know ANYTHING is possible, but I haven't, even, had any watermelon seeds to get "mixed in".......the seed this plant came from was a teeny-tiny seed........
Google the leaves. The seed could have come from just about anywhere. Not saying it is a watermelon but it sure looks like one. And a watermelon is hairy too. And not all watermelons are vines, some are bush types.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Google the leaves. The seed could have come from just about anywhere. Not saying it is a watermelon but it sure looks like one. And a watermelon is hairy too. And not all watermelons are vines, some are bush types.
I've lived all my life in peanut/watermelon country and I NEVER knew there were bush varieties of watermelons. Since I've never had the room available to grow vining watermelons (or cantaloupes).......I have never cruised those sections in seed catalogs. While this thread is about a "mystery plant".......this extra knowledge is, indeed, a bonus.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've lived all my life in peanut/watermelon country and I NEVER knew there were bush varieties of watermelons. Since I've never had the room available to grow vining watermelons (or cantaloupes).......I have never cruised those sections in seed catalogs. While this thread is about a "mystery plant".......this extra knowledge is, indeed, a bonus.
Yep, there are bush types although I can't say bush is the correct term. Last year I grew Jubilee Bush watermelon and the "bush" is a small compact vine with a diameter of about 4 feet which is a lot smaller than the Crimson Sweet I also grew. My Jubilees got to be about 15-18 lbs.

Ask a Question