Helleborus - Winter flowering perennial

Reaction score
Country
United States
View attachment 1060

Helleborus otherwise known as The Christmas Rose or Lenten Rose.

View attachment 1061

Helleborus Nijer - The Christmas Rose - bears flat faced flowers that are normally in shades of white or white flushed with pink, that really stand out when planted in shady areas.

View attachment 1062

Helleborus Orientalis - The Lenten Rose - bears clusters of saucer shaped flowers that come in a much wider range of colors, such as dusty pink, green, smokey purple, yellow or even various shades of red and are sometimes edged or flecked in with different colors.

Winter flowers are always welcome in any garden, and if you are looking for something that will brighten up yours, then these amazing hardy perennials may be just what you are looking for, as they have a long flowering period and will produce blooms all through the Winter, right into early Spring. :)

View attachment 1063

Many Helleborus are evergreen, so will give you year round interest, they are very easy to grow, literally just plant and leave to grow, and they will reward you with an amazing sight year after year, they tolerate most conditions, from part sun to almost full shade and are virtually pest and disease free.
These amazing plants can be planted just about anywhere, from flower borders to around trees and look stunning in containers as well.

View attachment 1064

There are many more varieties, with a huge range of colors to choose from. If you don't already have these amazing plants in your garden, you'll be pleased to know that October is the best time to plant them.

Please feel free to add your favorite Helleborus or ones that you would like to have. Alternatively if you are already growing them, any useful tips or photos, am sure would be more than welcome.:)
IMG_20180316_101256_640x360.jpg

I love hellebores flowers too! I have white and also purple ones. They are incredibly hardy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
In my yard here in NC, Hellebores and Bearded Iris are the few low maintenance perennials I've had any real luck with! It has taken them about 10 years, but they have finally reached a size and density to start seeding reliably, but I still haven't figured out the magic formula to keep the tiny seedlings alive. Out of about 100 seedlings from the spring, I've ended up with about 10 still alive come fall. They are SUPER susceptible to aphids, which doesn't seem to bother the adult plants, but at about the 2" size something kills them. I tried insecticidal soap and neem oil, but the vast majority still died, so there may also be a fungus involved. I'll try again this season. :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Hellebores, hosta and phlox are staples in my perennial beds.7CF73A3B-018E-4DC0-A712-D1E70F8D4629.jpeg 89BDE17B-D147-4B76-8482-3805E24B6FDA.jpeg BBE81546-295D-431B-8E08-7FB7F0907276.jpeg They have naturalized in three beds so I have plants to move about. Attempting to move a well established plant is back breaking work because of the massive root ball.

Ask a Question