Helleborus - Winter flowering perennial

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Ah - I can see that a finding a color that you are going to really, really like, is going to be a little more difficult than I first thought, especially as most Hellebores come in the cooler color range rather than the warmer, like for example the reds are normally more on the blue or pinkish end rather than with an orange hue, but as you like the creamy colors as well, here are a few more than you may like

Golden Lotus

View attachment 1530

Golden Sunrise

View attachment 1529
Wow, I had never seen the yellow variety. I wonder if they stay true to color over time. Think I'll wait a few years until the stock is stable.

My peppermint ice turned more white than pink after a few years. When my stargazer lilies did that I was told they had reverted back to one of the parents, so I guess that was what happened with my peppermint ice hellebore. Rather irritating though since it was not a cheap plant at the time.

Reaction score
Jewell - I can well imagine that you were more than irritated to find that your " peppermint ice " hellebore has reverted - I know I would be, particularly as no hellebores are cheap to buy :(
Although this isn't likely to make you feel any better - I am aware of some of the lily varieties having this problem if allowed to self seed and have to say- that it is not normally something that is associated with hellebores, but saying that there are a few rare occasions when this has been known to happen and is normally caused by changes in the soil ph or times of extreme cold - which I'm not sure would be the cause in your case.
The more likely cause - is that due to the popularity of these plants and especially that of some of the more recent - hard to get hold of exquisite additions - there have been reports that in order to keep up with the demand - some unscrupulous suppliers were selling plants that were not true hybrids - as they were produced by using inferior hybridizing methods - which of course means that anyone unlucky enough to have bought one of those - would find that it reverts back.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Jewell - I can well imagine that you were more than irritated to find that your " peppermint ice " hellebore has reverted - I know I would be, particularly as no hellebores are cheap to buy :(
Although this isn't likely to make you feel any better - I am aware of some of the lily varieties having this problem if allowed to self seed and have to say- that it is not normally something that is associated with hellebores, but saying that there are a few rare occasions when this has been known to happen and is normally caused by changes in the soil ph or times of extreme cold - which I'm not sure would be the cause in your case.
The more likely cause - is that due to the popularity of these plants and especially that of some of the more recent - hard to get hold of exquisite additions - there have been reports that in order to keep up with the demand - some unscrupulous suppliers were selling plants that were not true hybrids - as they were produced by using inferior hybridizing methods - which of course means that anyone unlucky enough to have bought one of those - would find that it reverts back.

I just tend to buy locally now rather than mail order. I figure both are buying whole sale anyway. My 'peppermint ice' is just more ice than desired. It is still a pretty double and is wonderful and decorative. I was lucky enough to find some madi gras mixed doubles that I had to be a great deal ($ 6) in bloom and good sized plants that made up for the peppermint ice. Gardening is always full of surprises and learning.

Reaction score
Jewell - I'm so pleased to hear that your " peppermint ice " wasn't a total disappointment and that you've still landed up with a very pretty decorative plant - even though it was a bit more ice like than you would have wished - but have to say in some ways you are extremely lucky - as you have a very rare one off variety of all of your very own - you never know one day it could become one of those much sort after collector varieties :D
Your mardi gras sound like a real bargain - especially as here you could expect to pay considerably more for those.
Your right there - gardening is always full of surprises and learning - but also think that is part of the fun and enjoyment of it - as well as the rewards we get from doing it.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
GM, yes I think the madi gras was an excellent buy. The same nursery was selling the same variety in smaller plants for 3-4 times the price.

I cut back all the leaves on my hellebores over winter break so I'd be able to see the flowers better. Otherwise I tend to miss the blooms until they are in full bloom. Don't know how it will affect the overall size of my plants but most are 10 years or more. I moved a dozen or so this winter as I changed a once woodland bed into a veggie bed. Here is my first bloom of the new year. The flower is simple, but it has an interesting leaf.
image.jpg
. I love it when they all start blooming.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Jewell - you've certainly been kept very busy over the past few months then - especially as preparing an area that you want to use for something else is pretty hard work at the best of times, but even more so when you've got plants growing in that area - that you want to keep and therefore have to move them to a new home.
I can well imagine that you are looking forward to seeing all your hellebores in flower -I know I would be - especially as you are lucky enough to have so many of them - am sure your garden is going to be a wonderfully spectacular sight to behold before very long - oh I nearly forgot again - which "mardi gras" do you have - is it the apricot one ?
I love the photo of your first blooms - they're truly beautiful - love the look of both the flowers and the leaves which as you say are definitely interesting and although there are a few hellebores with interesting markings on their foliage - yours somehow reminds me of one called " winter moonbeam " - would I be right ?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Scotland dont know zone
Country
United Kingdom
Wow so many stunning hellebores I have also many I my garden they are expensive but hard to resist.

Mine are just coming into bud so for now Gata ,Jewell and Claudine I shall just have to enjoy your photos till mine bloom

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Gata, I have no idea what variety my variegated leafed hellebore is. They came without tags. Your educated guess is much better than mine. The madi gras mix unfortunately goes from the white, pinks to the deep purple colors. Some of the doubles on the first page are Mardi gras. No apricots.

Hopefully all the seedling trilliums were moved from the redone bed. The layers of cardboard and mulch will do in the sweet woodruff in the redone bed. I practice no or little till, just mulch, mulch, mulch.

The neighbors trees have gotten so tall over the years my old veggie area is too shaded for anything but flowers so needed to start somewhere else. It wasn't too much work using the cardboard method, but I was pretty careless sticking hellebores anywhere I could find space throughout the yard.

Scotcat, Seedlings come up everywhere from the hellebores so over the years the numbers have grown. Much cheaper than buying:love:

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Scotland dont know zone
Country
United Kingdom
Yes Jewels I have manŷ seedlings growing all over the garden as I have grown them for yrs now .
So when I first started growing them they were not as expensive.
Mine are all in the ground but I may try growing in a nice pot.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Yes Jewels I have manŷ seedlings growing all over the garden as I have grown them for yrs now .
So when I first started growing them they were not as expensive.
Mine are all in the ground but I may try growing in a nice pot.
I've been considering the pot idea for hellebores too. Got some patio trees that need to be sized up and the emptied pots will need something new. Maybe a hellebore and hosta.

Reaction score
Jewell - although there a quite a few varieties with unusual leaf patterns I can't be absolutely sure that yours is " winter moonbeam" - as it was just a guess because that is the one that yours reminded me of :D

I love all the colors in the mardi gras series and only asked if you had the apricot one as it just so happens - that it is one of my favorites - but either way I'm sure that as all yours start to bloom they are sure to be a stunning sight :)

Oh and I also think your idea of pots filled with hellebores and hostas sounds like a wonderful idea :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I did some research and I found a really beautiful Helleborus variety. Currently, it's one of my favorites. It's called 'Briar Rose' :

4581.jpg

H%2Bashwoodensis.jpg

I'm in love with these colors, I find them gorgeous! They remind me of my two-colored miniature rose:D

Reaction score
Claudine - we are gathering so many stunning little beauties that it is becoming increasingly harder and harder not to want everyone of them in your garden and have to say ' Briar Rose ' is yet another little beauty not to ignore and can imagine it being a very pretty sight - when seen growing in a pot or in a woodland setting in the garden - although I have a sneaking suspicion that like " Jade Star " - my favorite - it is fairly difficult to get hold of - as it is one of those the varieties that only has a limited number of plants for sale each year - so you may have to order it well in advance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I would love to grow a few different Hellebore varieties together, in my opinion they look the prettiest this way:love:
It wouldn't surprise me at all if 'Briar Rose' was difficult to get hold of. The most gorgeous flowers often aren't wildly available:( Also, I've never seen it in my area.

Reaction score
I would love to grow a few different Hellebore varieties together, in my opinion they look the prettiest this way:love:
It wouldn't surprise me at all if 'Briar Rose' was difficult to get hold of. The most gorgeous flowers often aren't wildly available:( Also, I've never seen it in my area.

I would agree - I too think that Hellebores look their best when grown in drifts with lots of different varieties mixed together - but have to admit that certain ones also look particularly stunning when planted in containers either on their own or with complimentary foliage plants.
I too find that - it is always the plants that I like the best - that are always extremely hard to get hold of - probably because I always seem to like the rarer varieties of everything :D so hope that as you like " Briar Rose " and even though you haven't seen it available in your area - one way or another you will manage to get hold of one:)

Ask a Question