Helleborus - Winter flowering perennial

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
My climate is a cool temperate one with some marine influences. Lots of misty rain with a dry cool summers generally. I have been told that Western Washington state is similar to many parts of the UK and Ireland.

The hellebores love being on the drip line of deciduous trees, where they get winter sun and summer shade. My front yard where my original plants are always have a large number of seedlings. Mature plants are a nice size. Well over 2 feet sqare.

Reaction score
Thanks gata montes. I will be shopping for hellebores to spice up my winterscape. You are a wealth of information and I too have learned so much from your threads and your well thought out answers.

I will get some pictures once mine are set.

Reaction score
Thanks gata montes. I will be shopping for hellebores to spice up my winterscape. You are a wealth of information and I too have learned so much from your threads and your well thought out answers.

I will get some pictures once mine are set.

You are welcome, am glad that the information was enough, for you to want to go out on a Hellebores shopping spree, am sure that you'll get plenty of enjoyment, from having these cheerful looking plants around during the Winter months.

Do you have any particular color or colors that you will be looking for?

Shall look forward to seeing your pictures and many thanks for your lovely compliments.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Scotland dont know zone
Country
United Kingdom
So enjoyed all your hellobore photos I have many in my garden .

When they bloom again I shall share photos with you all.

Reaction score
That looks like a really amazing perennial! I had never heard about it, I think this perennial, specially the one that can be ever green the whole year can be a great addition for a Dutch garden, I think :) I'm traveling in a few weeks... north of holland, sadly all the flowers and plants are dead already. Wouldn't be wonderful if this perennial was their first choice instead of tulips? Those flowers are so beautiful. I'm so going to look for them once I move there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I simply can't stop looking at pictures of Helleborus. Those flowers are so pretty! One of the prettiest I've ever seen. I still haven't decided which of their colors is my favorite, but I'll plant them in my garden soon or later:)

Helleborus-Pennys-Pink-201.jpg

Helleborus_SouthernBelles.jpg

Reaction score
Trellum - they do grow lots of Helleborus in Holland and by the time you get there, they should all be very much in bloom.

Claudine - thank you for adding some more pictures - I thought you'd already chosen your favorite colors, so as you haven't I'm adding a few more worth considering

Red Sapphire

helleborus red shappire.jpg

Berry Swirl
HelleboreBerrySwirl.jpg

Peppermint Ice
_hellebore_arbor_peppermint_ice_ds.jpg

Metallic Blue Lady which also has burgundy colored foliage

helleborus_metallic_blue_lady.jpg

Apricot Blush
hellebores apricot blush.jpg

There are even more than these with plenty of new varieties coming new year as well, which I'm sure is just going to make choosing which ones to have even harder

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
During the winter we see pansies everywhere. It would be nice to see winter roses or a plant with more color variety of choices. I would love to have a pot of Hellerborous on my deck right now to look at.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Gata Montes, thank you for adding more pictures. The more of them, the better, because looking at Hellerborous is a pure pleasure:)
I'm surprising myself with it, but I like Apricot Blush the most. It's lovely!

Reaction score
Gata Montes, thank you for adding more pictures. The more of them, the better, because looking at Hellerborous is a pure pleasure:)
I'm surprising myself with it, but I like Apricot Blush the most. It's lovely!

A pleasure - should have added some sooner, especially as I now know, that you still haven't decided which ones to have, and when I posted them yesterday, I was trying to go by the colors of your miniature roses, but am not sure that I have remembered correctly - is it pinks, yellows and reds ?
As you like 'Apricot Blush' you might also like one of the new ones, introduced this year - which is very similar but with double petals, which is at present quite hard to find a picture of, but will keep trying so that you can see it.
I seem to remember you saying that you quite like lilacs as well, so wondered if there is particular color that you have in mind or would prefer ?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I have red, pink, yellow, white and orange miniature roses. And a two-colored one:) And yes, I love lilacs too:)
Usually, I find white flowers the most beautiful, but it's different with Hellerborous. I'm not sure why, but I think that they look the prettiest when they're orange or red or creamy. They look better in warm colors.

Reaction score
I have red, pink, yellow, white and orange miniature roses. And a two-colored one:) And yes, I love lilacs too:)
Usually, I find white flowers the most beautiful, but it's different with Hellerborous. I'm not sure why, but I think that they look the prettiest when they're orange or red or creamy. They look better in warm colors.

Ah - I can see that a finding a color that you are going to really, really like, is going to be a little more difficult than I first thought, especially as most Hellebores come in the cooler color range rather than the warmer, like for example the reds are normally more on the blue or pinkish end rather than with an orange hue, but as you like the creamy colors as well, here are a few more than you may like

Golden Lotus

hellebores golden lotus.jpg

Golden Sunrise

H elllebres winter Jewel.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Oh, they're both so beautiful! To be honest, I'm not sure which one I like more, it's an impossible choice:)
I think it would look the prettiest and the most interesting if I planted many different Helleborus varieties in my garden. It would be lovely:D

Reaction score
I spotted this relatively new little beauty the other day and the amazing coloring in its petals really caught my eye - so just couldn't resist adding it to the growing collection of these gorgeous plants

Hellebores - Jade Star

Hellebores 'jade star'1.jpg

Hellerbores jade flower.jpg

I think its gorgeous :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I couldn't agree more, it really is gorgeous! I love the colors of its flowers, it's such a perfect combination of purple, green, pink and blue. It's very unique. It looks like a small piece of art:)

Ask a Question