Has anybody ever grown ginger in a pot?

Reaction score
I gave myself a seed-starting mat for Christmas, and so with the help of a little bottom heat I am hoping to get a ginger root sprouted!

I am hoping the root from the grocery store is healthy, as the roots looked fat and freshly harvested: of course I am guessing! If this does not work I might try ordering ginger on-line, but I am afraid that I will end up with ornamental ginger instead. Mind, it is possible that the only difference between ornamental ginger and the edible kind is the appearance of the leaves, but I do not know. The only thing I know about ginger is that it is a tropical plant, and that I like the taste of it.

Has anybody here ever grown it? I have heard that the plant is a strong one once it is growing.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
I grew one in my office once, mainly as I left it in my desk and it had started sprouting.

Didn't bury it, just put it on top of the soil, it found its own way into it.

Had a lovely flower :)

Reaction score
I tried that also, as mine had sprouted. However, I did bury it a little bit in hopes that it would grow, but it never did. I had it in water when I saw that it sprouted, and then placed it in my garden about 5 days later. I didn't really grow, so I just left it there and I'm pretty sure it either decomposed or an animal ate it. Either way, I have no idea what ended up happening to it.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Aww, thats sad Gardener :( Could it have been too cold for it outside, tis a hot country plant I believe.

I can't remember @Kansas Terri, might have done, but that was back in the 1980's:)

Reaction score
I live in Florida and all I did was plant a piece of ginger from the grocery store in 2007 and it's been growing in a pot ever since. In the winter it seems to go dormant , but it starts sprouting again in hot weather.

Reaction score
I like to bury it, personally I find the same methods apply to Ginger as growing Garlic. It is a very lovely flower to watch bloom...

I have never looked up and formal information on Ginger but I have always been led to believe it really like hot and humid weather the most, such as you would find in tropical regions, but I am sure it would grow in cooler dryer areas even if a little less prolific.

Reaction score
Wow, This tread is awesome. I live in an apartment and want to do some indoor gardening; its seems like ginger could be a good place to start for me. I am still in the research stage, but I am really eager to get started while the weather is warm. Thanks guys (y)

Reaction score
No I never grew ginger in a pot before but I'm going to give it a try later on because it looks like fun. When I first start indoor planting I want to do ginger and other ones too. As soon as I get things set then I'll grow some ginger in the kitchen.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
I have two ginger plants. They are not in containers though. Actually, I just experimented on them. I found old saggy gingers in our cupboard and tried burying them in the garden. Now, they are big! When I touch their leaves, my hands smell like ginger.

Ask a Question