Leaf fall has begun!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I am looking forward to starting this years leaf mold pile. It really makes nice spring compost, especially if I don't let the leaves sit on the grass too long. I know the neighbors will think I am overachieving the leaf pickup, and I bet I get at least one that will helpfully mention that it will be easier to mulch them into the lawn.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Leaf moud is really useful. A church bagged their fallen leaves and I would ask my son to stop the car and I would grab them. I still have about 2 bags at the back. Good for a lot of stuff. I wish I had that many leaves to collect, would make it into a business - £1 a bag! Why not! Better than burning them and foul the neighbourhood.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Cool site! I have a cherry that loses its leaves in July but it is an idiot. My hardwoods will be last like the map says. Thank goodness my yardcomes in waves of leaf drop or I would be swamped.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I have added molasses to the yard and have been mulching. The buildup of organic material is visible, but we have soooo many more leave to come that soon the drifts of leaves will not be mowable. It was 90 ish today, and I think when it snaps cold the leaves will drop hard and fast this year so maybe it can be over with in a month. My compost pile is ready to get replenished.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
How much have you paid for your molasses and what quality is it please, DM? Unsulphured? Unrefined?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I get unsulphured blackstrap here for about 5 dollars a gallon. There is a freight cost on 2 5 gallon buckets that depends on your location so I would suggest a closer supply.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I get unsulphured blackstrap here for about 5 dollars a gallon. There is a freight cost on 2 5 gallon buckets that depends on your location so I would suggest a closer supply.

Certainly not from the States. I will look into it. Thank you.

Gail_68

Beauty blooms in the garden as well as the heart.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
@DirtMechanic don't I know they're falling been out since 9am this morning and cleared the front garden, I bet I had half the streets on there besides :LOL:...I could do with a new back but I filled a bag and half in the green bin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
@DirtMechanic don't I know they're falling been out since 9am this morning and cleared the front garden, I bet I had half the streets on there besides :LOL:...I could do with a new back but I filled a bag and half in the green bin.
Falling is the word. I clean it up and 4 days days later its like I did nothing.

Gail_68

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Falling is the word. I clean it up and 4 days days later its like I did nothing.
I know how you feel...today is carm so the gardens the same as soon as the winds come that's it i'm at it again but our garden is gravelled so it's racking the leaves plus the fencing helps and blows a lot up the corner and once the leaves have finished it will be back to normal.

SDC16928.JPG

Gail_68

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
leaves are starting again on the front garden..totally sick spending the other day getting them up :mad:

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
leaves are starting again on the front garden..totally sick spending the other day getting them up :mad:
Me too, but first the rain has to stop and the sleet has to go past. I hope the garden does well. This is the first temps below freezing for the year. They say we are 20f-30f below average. I think it will continue a bit, and I might lose my fig this year if it gets too low. I was sad to see a chart about the sun and its cycle, because it shows a low energy state is upon us.
tci.png

Gail_68

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
@DirtMechanic I hope your figs strong enough to survive...it was bad here last winter lost 2 clematis well established besides my 7 bottles brushes that was established and they've gone through other winters ok but with temps so bad going up and dropping back quick it's like a massive shock.
That's chart does say it al and how bad your going to be :(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I am somewhere around 35 mulched leafsweeper piles in, and at least 15 more to go. The big oaks are brown and will drop soon, so maybe 25-30 all total yet to come. I bedded, piped and wet the first lawnsweep, and now the second lawnsweep awaits being piled upon that first load. This time I turned the holes drilled into the big pvc vent piping downward. Moisture is why. They have holes for airflow but a dry pile is a worse problem.

Ask a Question