Can anyone tell me what has happened to my tomatoes

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can anyone please identify what is the problem with these tomato plants, they are grown in a greenhouse and initially 2 plants seemed to be week but since then it has spread to all plants and has also spread to the Aubergines. Please see images for symptoms. Any advice welcome, I thought it might be mosaic virus but not sure as images don't seem to match.

Attachments

• IMG_2130.jpg
    IMG_2130.jpg
    153 KB · Views: 251
  • IMG_2131.jpg
    IMG_2131.jpg
    188.4 KB · Views: 237
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Can anyone please identify what is the problem with these tomato plants, they are grown in a greenhouse and initially 2 plants seemed to be week but since then it has spread to all plants and has also spread to the Aubergines. Please see images for symptoms. Any advice welcome, I thought it might be mosaic virus but not sure as images don't seem to match.
You have a severe lack of phosphorus in the soil.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have been feeding the plants with both seaweed extract and comfrey juice with I expected to be high in PNK so why would we have a deficiency of phosphorus? Also tomato are in pots but the aubergines are in different soil in beds

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We have been feeding the plants with both seaweed extract and comfrey juice with I expected to be high in PNK so why would we have a deficiency of phosphorus? Also tomato are in pots but the aubergines are in different soil in beds
If that be the case then your soil isn't warm enough for the plants to uptake enough NPK. At a minimum your soil should be over 60F for tomatoes and eggplant. The purplish color is usually a sign of a lack of phosphorous but it could also be a lack of nitrogen. Either way it isn't a disease, it's a lack of nutrient uptake whether from soil temperature or something else.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Check your ph while you are about it. And if you are using hydroponics products at their sealed system recommended levels, you may find them insufficient for a system that drains away or plants in soil.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I've checked the ph and it is 7 which seems ok, so I don't know why they're not taking up the nutrients. There in a greenhouse so the temperature is very high too. Any ideas welcome as the Aubergines seem to be getting worse by the day.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've checked the ph and it is 7 which seems ok, so I don't know why they're not taking up the nutrients. There in a greenhouse so the temperature is very high too. Any ideas welcome as the Aubergines seem to be getting worse by the day.
Seaweed has an NPK of 1-.05-2.5. Comfrey has 3.5-1.2-8.4. The middle number is phosphorous, very low. Nitrogen is better but still low. K is fine. Seaweed is great for macro nutrients and minerals but not so much for NPK. Comfrey is the same. They are both great for what they do but neither of them has enough nitrogen or phosphorous. I would suggest you keep using both but add bloodmeal for nitrogen, rock phosphate, bonemeal or in the UK, Hoof and Horns for the phosphorous

Last edited:

Ask a Question