Hair in compost

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Yeah I heard a lot about how you can use eggshells in a garden. I never knew about some of them, but I like to research and I am always finding new uses for a lot of things I never considered before.

I never considered composting wine corks either, but now that I know that I can I may consider it. That is, if I never get around to making some kind of craft with the ones that I have. I think I have enough carbon stuff with just leaves and and the paper towel tubes, but it's nice to know I have that option.

Reaction score
I told a friend of mine about using hair in compost and she asked if weave could be used also. I know that when people get braids they are using fake hair and they would like to do something with it other than throwing it away. I have to ask if fake hair can be used as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Fake hair is not hair so the answer is no.
If she doesn't want to throw it away, (which would be great for the landfill) tell her to post it on Freecycle or Craig's List. Maybe an artist or someone else will want to recycle it into some kind of craft project. A person who makes dolls could use it to make miniature wigs.

Reaction score
I already do that for the most part. I just thought that we are natural animals and that our hair must decompose eventually. I heard it takes a lot of time, though. Also, don't dye your hair and then put it in the compost. Think about it this way, you spill your dye all over your garden. Overall, not a good idea!

Reaction score
I'm glad I don't dye my hair. My sister dyes her hair mainly to get rid of the gray so I will not be using her hair in my compost. I am glad I read this thread because it has given me a way to get rid of my hair without having to throw it away.

Reaction score
My neighbor thought it was weird when I decided to brush her dog just to get the hair to compost, but it helps keep the varmints away. My own hair and any hair we brush off of our cats also goes into the compost pile.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Lovely word "Varmints" :D

Welcome to Gardening Forums :)

Reaction score
Lovely word for unlovely critters. lol. Thanks for the welcome. Been ghosting on these forums a bit off and on since my wife found 'em in the spring, but been so busy with work I haven't had a chance to join and post.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Critters, another good word :)

Ask a Question