Maiden hair fern

Reaction score
I have a black thumb as far as these are concerned.. I was at my friends place and she had this huge, lovely beauty right in front of her door.. I was so jealous. I love these fern, I also love emerald ferns.. and they thrive in my balcony but I would love to have a nice maiden hair fern.. to grace my living room ... :/
images
images

What do you do you make your maiden hair fern flourish?

I found a youtube video which tells me that my climate maybe the real issue..

Reaction score
I agree with you, they are simply heaven to look at. The name of them is even dreamy - {\\\\\maiden hair/////}. I don't have much personal experience with this particular plant, but that video is sure helpful. If you really want one and climate is the issue, perhaps try growing one indoors.

Reaction score
I agree with you, they are simply heaven to look at. The name of them is even dreamy - {\\\\\maiden hair/////}. I don't have much personal experience with this particular plant, but that video is sure helpful. If you really want one and climate is the issue, perhaps try growing one indoors.
Mine was grown indoors... I may have to pluck up the courage to invest in one more plant and start from scratch. You are right... it is such a dreamy, heavenly plant and it might really be worth all the hassle.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Mainly see them growing on the walls of wells in the uk, damp & out of direct sunlight.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I love ferns. We have some wild ferns growing around the edges of the house. I used to try and relocate them or collect the spores, but it never worked out. I'll have to add ferns to the list once I'm done with everything else.

Reaction score
I love ferns. We have some wild ferns growing around the edges of the house. I used to try and relocate them or collect the spores, but it never worked out. I'll have to add ferns to the list once I'm done with everything else.
The spores have never worked for me.. maybe it is the weather... I have noticed that these grow well in higher altitudes than the one in which I live..
While I was on a holiday a couple of weeks ago, we were in a forest .. the place was full of all kinds and varieties of ferns. I dug up a few and put them in plastic containers till i brought them home and planted them... all of them seem to be wilting... I am watering them with care hoping that at least the maiden hair fern will survive... if not I am getting myself a fully grown one from the nursery... :/

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Maddie, maybe the ferns are getting too much light? Also, the soil they were growing in could be very different from what you have at home. I think there is something to the transplant shock theory -- from now on i am going to start new plants in paper "pots" so I can just bury the container in the new pot when it's time to transplant.

I think the reason I lost my basil was because of transplant shock. So far only one plant has survived :-(

Reaction score
Maddie, maybe the ferns are getting too much light? Also, the soil they were growing in could be very different from what you have at home. I think there is something to the transplant shock theory -- from now on i am going to start new plants in paper "pots" so I can just bury the container in the new pot when it's time to transplant.

I think the reason I lost my basil was because of transplant shock. So far only one plant has survived :-(
Yeah, could be the reason.. the soil on the hilly slopes are certainly different from the ones we use in a container.. Nope it is not too hot where these plants are.. there is partial shade...It is just the shock I guess... I agree growing stuff in paper cups could reduce the shock of tearing the plant from the container...I will have to find those little baskets which they use in the nurseries to grow baby seedlings and saplings..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
...I will have to find those little baskets which they use in the nurseries to grow baby seedlings and saplings..

Maddie,you don't need a special tray; you could upcycle plastic or paper food container. I have some lavender in tp tubes and I just put a bit of string around them to keep them from toppling over, but they sit in a paper food container from the salad bar with no problems.

IMG_0212.JPG

These have been in their tubes since around September, I think. I started them in a smaller version of the container the tubes sit in now and then transplanted them. There were about 16 plants in the beginning and I lost 4 to transplant shock/uneven watering.

Reaction score
Maddie,you don't need a special tray; you could upcycle plastic or paper food container. I have some lavender in tp tubes and I just put a bit of string around them to keep them from toppling over, but they sit in a paper food container from the salad bar with no problems.

View attachment 347

These have been in their tubes since around September, I think. I started them in a smaller version of the container the tubes sit in now and then transplanted them. There were about 16 plants in the beginning and I lost 4 to transplant shock/uneven watering.
Channel, that does look very doable. Thanks for the picture... I will try that... those tubes could be really helpful.

Reaction score
Unless you get very good sunlight indoors or you're using a combination of sun light and florescent lighting, it's very difficult to successfully grow ferns indoors. They do very well outside but when winter hits and you have to take them inside, they do not do nearly as well. I've seen people who bring their ferns in during the winter months, and put them back out in spring-time. They lose a few leaves but once the warmer months, the lost leaves will be replaced and then some.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I remember my Aunt was growing them and they were very beautiful. She kept them in shady areas, it's all I remember. I've tried to grow them too, so far without luck.
They always remind me of a delicate lace.

Reaction score
I remember my Aunt was growing them and they were very beautiful. She kept them in shady areas, it's all I remember. I've tried to grow them too, so far without luck.
They always remind me of a delicate lace.
The indeed resemble delicate lace. Though the asparagus ferns, especially the emerald fern looks more delicate, the maiden hair fern will always be my favorite. I really wish I can get one of these soon. I haven't seen them in the garden shop lately.; I may have to place an order to get one for myself.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Maddie, there are a lot of wild ferns around my house right now. I have never been successful at transplanting or cultivating them from spores. When I was young, my grandmother had an asparagus fern (wonder why they call it that) and I just loved that plant. It is so pretty and so easy to grow! I plan on getting one of those at some point myself.

Reaction score
Maddie, there are a lot of wild ferns around my house right now. I have never been successful at transplanting or cultivating them from spores. When I was young, my grandmother had an asparagus fern (wonder why they call it that) and I just loved that plant. It is so pretty and so easy to grow! I plan on getting one of those at some point myself.
So you are as unlucky as me with transplanting ferns. The asparagus fern is called so because it resembles the asparagus plant. There are so many varieties of those too.
I have tried dipping them in honey/sugar solution but even this does not work for me while I transplant any of these ferns. The Boston fern however, took well to transplanting.
I think I will search the net for more information on this. I love having ferns inside the house.. they bring in such an elegant feel to the whole home in my opinion.

Ask a Question