Does human hair deter deer?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I'm planning to plant a Japanese maple and a hydrangea this weekend in my yard and I was thinking of getting human hair from my friend's barber shop and spreading it all over the area. Will this work?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
YES! According to many google searches, human hair WILL deter dear. You'll need enough for the deer to actually smell the hair. FYI, the hair should be free of charge.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Make "hair balls" by stuffing the toe of nylon stockings (panty hose feet) with either dog fur or human hair, and hanging it from the shrubs. The balls will need to be renewed after a heavy rain or a couple of weeks, but they will deter deer.
Dr. Case, I love the way you think!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Wow..I haven't heard of this before and this is interesting to know. Learn something new today!

I wonder if dog hair would work to deter stray cat! I have seen one coming and going under my deck and use it as its litter box. It dog hair works, I have plenty from my dog to do this, lol..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/b
Country
United States
Depends on the deer you are deterring. It hasnt worked for me, but my deer are almost "domesticated." For those with little contact or comfort around humans, ive heard it works. Also irish spring is supposed to work too. Hang it on strings around your garden. Again, doesnt work for me, but maybe for you.

Reaction score
I'm simply commenting on this thread because the idea of human hair deterring a deer blows my mind. Does this work because it has the scent of a human? I didn't even know that deer could be deterred by something so simple. I'd imagine it's necessary to take measures like this, since deer are likely to eat the fruit off of trees. I hope that the hair works out for you! :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/b
Country
United States
I
I'm simply commenting on this thread because the idea of human hair deterring a deer blows my mind. Does this work because it has the scent of a human? I didn't even know that deer could be deterred by something so simple. I'd imagine it's necessary to take measures like this, since deer are likely to eat the fruit off of trees. I hope that the hair works out for you! :)
I have to agree unless you live in an area that is totally paranoid by a human presence. It must be highly hunted and have a natural predator presence. Even scarcrows stop scaring birds with time, right?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Most wild animals have learned that humans mean trouble. People in suburbs who feed "Bambi" and think the deer are so cute help the deer overcome a natural fear, and the hair trick probably wouldn't work under those circumstances.
Scarecrows are more decorative than effective. Something that moves, is shiny, and not recognizable to the birds works better.
Icy, all the feral cats I know would just beat up a dog and then go on with their business. Dog hair wouldn't be a deterrent to them!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Well I live in the suburbs with a lot of forests in my town and deers show up fairly often. When I go near them they simply run away usually.. but anyway, I put on deer off spray on non deer-resistant plants such as my newly planted hydrangea and red Japanese maple and so far its working I would say since none of it is bitten off yet.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines

I'm also curious like you. I wonder what's in the hair that deters the deer. From what I know, hunters in the mountain range called Sierra Madre in the eastern coast of the Philippines burn bamboo. This is the opposite because the ashes of the bamboo attracts the deer. Hunters say that the ashes are salty and deer love the taste so when they smell the odor of burned bamboo, they come in droves. But again, with the human hair, maybe it is the odor of the shampoo?

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
This is interesting, new and informative.

Seriously? Never knew human hair had an effect on plants.

Looking up more about it now.

Thanks for the information though.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a/b
Country
United States
I'm also curious like you. I wonder what's in the hair that deters the deer. From what I know, hunters in the mountain range called Sierra Madre in the eastern coast of the Philippines burn bamboo. This is the opposite because the ashes of the bamboo attracts the deer. Hunters say that the ashes are salty and deer love the taste so when they smell the odor of burned bamboo, they come in droves. But again, with the human hair, maybe it is the odor of the shampoo?
Here, we have a serious deer problem, and like the burned bamboo, if they smell sprays or whatever deterrent, it actually attracts them, because "BAmbi" has been fed all too often. I think if you live in the middle of nowhere (which doesnt exist anymore), the smell may have worked...like 100 years ago. Now, with the the smell of man all around them...its a hope and dream more then reality.

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I have never had a problem with deer, but friends have, from what they tell me, human hair works as long as it is fresh; one rain and the smell is washed off. (Or the deer are desensitized to it...)

I have another friend that uses crystallized coyote urine, she gets it from a mail order company. I'm not sure how you'd like the smell of that! :eek: :eek:

I've also heard that there are some zoos that will either sell or give away ... "predator poo," from the big cats. I don't think a deer recognizes "lions and tigers and bears, oh my... " but maybe there's an instinctive "PREDATOR!!" smell to the poo? Undigested meat?? :confused:

I don't know, but I'd imagine you could cover it (or the coyote urine,) with a thick enough layer of soil so you can't smell it, but the deer still will...

Ask a Question