Hairy caterpillar?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
So I was harvesting okras from my plants when I noticed that their leaves were eaten. When I tried to examine the leaves, I found hairy-looking caterpillars on them! I accidentally touched one, and lo and behold, it was very itchy. Does anybody know what these creepy crawlies are called? What can I do to remove them?

Edit: This is how those caterpillars looked like.

Attachments

• higad.jpg
    higad.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 387
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
So I was harvesting okras from my plants when I noticed that their leaves were eaten. When I tried to examine the leaves, I found hairy-looking caterpillars on them! I accidentally touched one, and lo and behold, it was very itchy. Does anybody know what these creepy crawlies are called? What can I do to remove them?

Edit: This is how those caterpillars looked like.
All caterpillars are easily controlled with Bt (Bacillus thuringiensis) There are many manufactures of this product and many different brand names. This product is made from a naturally occuring bacteria and is totally organic. It is totally safe for humans and pets. Any nursery should have it

Reaction score
Chuck gave you a really good advice on this one. I had seen this caterpillars before, man they are gross! Don't ever let your finger or any other body part get close to their heads, if I recall right they spit something that really irritates skin badly. We found them in the trees right in my school. Grossest things ever!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Thanks, Chuck and Trellum!

I hate these kinds of caterpillars. Their hair stick on skin and are very itchy! The only way to remove them is by dousing the part with vinegar. That is one of the most unpleasant experiences ever.

I will look for Bt today. I hope the gardening store in our community has it. I need to remove those pests immediately because they are spreading like wildfire. They are on our ashitaba plants, too!

Reaction score
Country
United States
WOAH! I have never seen a caterpillar that looks like that! He looks.. not so friendly, to say the least. I know their hair is suppose to itch pretty badly.

Ask a Question