Don't pick the caterpillars, please!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Our dill has lots of "caterpillars" on it. They are really butterfly instars, and the same ones show up on parsley.
instars on dill.jpg

With a bit of luck and enough dill, parsley, and fennel, the caterpillars become this:
Black Swallowtail 3.jpg

So, please don't pick the caterpillars off your herbs. Just plant enough for you and the Black Swallowtails.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
I'm jealous. I tried growing Golden Alexanders for Black Swallowtails, but the seeds never grew. Might have to try again in the future.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
JB, don't be jealous--your garden is paradise for wildlife! Try some dill--it's really easy to grow and if you let one or two plants go to seed, it self-sows for the next year.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you for the post and I will look around with a different attitude!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
I started out growing a lot of milkweed for the butterflies, mainly because of all the stories about how bad off the Monarchs have it now; however, I quickly found that Monarchs are the only butterfly I see every year -- tons of them.

So now I'm growing many other species of plants to support many other species of butterflies. I have tons of plants in the carrot and celery family as well as other plants and I'm starting to see many other species of butterflies.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Good for you, Roadrunner! So many folks plant nectar plants for butterflies, but don't think to plant host plants. We have a tree, a hop tree (Ptelea trifoliata), that is a host for the ugliest instars you can imagine. Both the Giant and the Tiger Swallowtails use it.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I saw some blue little butterflies fluttering around, but they are so neurotic that I can't capture them.

Some small one like this

upload_2018-5-16_17-6-48.jpeg

I also have this one

This one minus the orange back. Before I only have white ones and very occasionally a monarch or two.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7A
Country
United States
The rule in my garden is, "if there are caterpillars in the herbs, it is off limits until they're done".

37412293410_8ff5b1ce3a_b.jpg

Ask a Question