How to get rid of these caterpillars

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all.

Does anyone know what these caterpillars are and how to kill them off. I found them burrowed under the soil. They are eating all my plants during the night.

Attachments

• IMG_2624 (1).JPG
    IMG_2624 (1).JPG
    63.7 KB · Views: 235
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Probably cutworms. Put cardboard collars around the plants, to a depth of about 2". Diatomaceous Earth sprinkled around will prevent egglayers in the future.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hi all.

Does anyone know what these caterpillars are and how to kill them off. I found them burrowed under the soil. They are eating all my plants during the night.
Here in Texas those are called cutworms. The adults will cut the plant at soil level and the juveniles eat the roots. A spinosad soil drench is the preferred method here to kill them but if you cannot get spinosad, Bt mixed with bran or corn flakes or cornmeal and Dipel dust spread around the base of the plants works great too. It works as a bait.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Thanks, I will try those to see if they work. My wife put red pepper down to deter neighbours cats pooping and this morning there was 4 of these cutworms looking worse for wear on the soil. No cat poop either.
Cats, cutworms, snails, slugs and other bugs are invading. No garden birds or other predators enter my garden as I'm surrounded by cat owners who let their cats roam freely. No matter how often I chase them, they always come back.

Ask a Question