Maidenhair Fern Inside?

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I have a beautiful Maidenhair Fern growing outside in a pot, and my father said we should divide it and put it into two separate pots, let them grow and so on and so forth (and knowing my father he will have trillions of these things lying around by the end of it) and I was just wondering, would a Maidenhair Fern survive in a smaller pot for somewhere indoors like the bathroom, or on my desk? Obviously I'd have 2 or 3 of these little plants and make sure they get rotated between inside and outside to to ensure they photosynthesize properly.

If not then I might just have to deal with a little cactus.

Reaction score
It needs to be in a north or east window and at least a foot away from a west facing or southern exposure. They love high humidity which makes them a good plant for the bathroom. If you can't keep it in there then set the pot on a saucer of pebbles filled with water. Also, they like the soil moist but not wet and you should mist the plant at least once a day. Also feed it once a week with a mild houseplant fertilizer solution. Try to keep the plant in an area at least 50'F or warmer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I think it will do great indoors:) When I was a teenager, I used to grow a small fern in my room. It always looked very healthy. I remember it needed to be watered often. I didn't fertilize it.

Reaction score
This is the fern outside. I know they don't like wet feet, not do they like being too dry. I give this one about 1 liter once a week, It's been in this pot for about half a year now and if we are dividing it, I may as well take a little bit to make the study a little more...lively....

20140724_080100.jpg
20140724_080121.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's a really beautiful fern and it looks very healthy:) It will make a beautiful decoration for your home, I'm sure of it.
I've always had a soft spot for ferns, they're lovely plants. Also, they're easy to grow. I remember I overwatered my miniature fern more than once, but somehow it managed to survive:D

Reaction score
Thanks claudine! :) Again, we haven't really done much for it, just put it in the shade and give it a little water. I'll be sure to get a small pot of some sort and put it inside....

Now, the trick is not killing it, lol

Reaction score
It is a lovely plant and if you take care of it like you know how to it will be even more beautiful. Don't drown it and you should be fine and it will give you a lot of enjoyment.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Here is mine. I don't keep it at north or east facing window, but a west/south window but with my venetian slats tilted to avoid strong direct morning sun. I also mist it but not too often, as it is in my bathroom. I do water it with distilled or de-ox water or, if I've run out, plain Brita Filter water. In growing season it is essential to keep the soil very moist. Not sodden but certainly not 2 inches dry on the top. The stems are so thin that they don't hold much water. If the pot is too dry for them the leaves will very quickly darken and shrivel. The good news is that they won't take long to grow back again, as long as you keep to the steps above. For older fronds that dry and brown naturally through age, just prune them off. You should, with all these steps have a lovely bushy, lush Maindenhair Fern. A bit like mine in the picture below.

Attachments

• IMG_20200608_165659.jpg
    IMG_20200608_165659.jpg
    228.6 KB · Views: 98
  • Photo to use - Gardenlaw Forum.jpg
    Photo to use - Gardenlaw Forum.jpg
    221.8 KB · Views: 102

Ask a Question