New fern looks sad already?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
IMG_7795.JPG
I just bought this fern last week, and placed it in my office. It's fairly low light, but I bought it because it's a very low light plant. Why does it already look like it's shriveling up? Is it lack of light? Or maybe lack of water? I watered it initially and then about 3-4 days later when the soil felt dry. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Jan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Are they supposed to be indoor plants, ? they thrive well out doors but don't like repotting or transplanting when they are bigger. I would think they like acid soil. I don't really know about then being inside, mine just pop up everywhere in the shady parts of the garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
India
As Jan said, spores are present underside of the leaf. Mostly scattered by wind.

From leaf cutting you can get new plant.

I guess, they don't need to be watered. they can grow even on wall that is not well plastered , or old walls.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
really?
As Jan said, spores are present underside of the leaf. Mostly scattered by wind.

From leaf cutting you can get new plant.

I guess, they don't need to be watered. they can grow even on wall that is not well plastered , or old walls.
That's really interesting. Plants are amazing. So mine should grow fine in a pot. Maybe it's just stressed from moving environments?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Are they supposed to be indoor plants, ? they thrive well out doors but don't like repotting or transplanting when they are bigger. I would think they like acid soil. I don't really know about then being inside, mine just pop up everywhere in the shady parts of the garden.

if it's starts to look even sadder, maybe I will move it outdoors to a shady part of my garden bed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
if it's starts to look even sadder, maybe I will move it outdoors to a shady part of my garden bed.
I moved it a little closer to a window and it hasn't gotten any worse, but if it does, I have a spot picked out outside for it in the garden.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6B
Country
United States
Is it sitting near a heat or AC vent ? it might be getting to much heat or cold air on it.

It was not super near the vent, but it could have been getting a little drafty. The vent was behind the dresser it was sitting on. I moved it a little closer to the window and further from the vent, and it's at least not been getting worse. I'm not sure it's on the mend yet, but at least it's in stable condition?

Ask a Question