ferns for foundation planting

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a/7b
Country
United States
I've decided to plant ferns for my foundation plants at the front of my house. Anyone have any experience with some good ones to look for? It's full shade, I would like them to be evergreens, and something that isn't going to blow up my bank account if possible haha.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
We had a total shade spot when we lived in town, and I planted Sword Ferns there. The foliage is "coarser" than the usual fern foliage, but still is very attractive
"Sword" refers to the shape of the frond. It can survive with less water, and the only care it needs is to have the dead fronds cut off in the spring.
They should be available at a good nursery, and wouldn't cost a lot.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
We have Maidenhair ferns, which are deep shade tolerant, cold tolerant, and have the added bonus of providing fiddleheads for dinner in the spring.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Evergreen ferns for a foundation planting that can survive Winters that go down to 5º F (USDA Zone 7b).

A good choice would be a mix of the native evergreen ferns, Marginal Wood-fern (Dryopteris marginalis) and Christmas Fern (Polystichum acrostichoides). These ferns would be somehat low for a typical foundation planting, but some fronds would rise to two or three feet.

Ask a Question