Boston fern

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
Has anyone ever bought one of those big Boston ferns from Lowes or Home Depot and divided it? I never see smaller ones for sale in my local stores and the big ones just seem too big for the spot I want to hang them. I did read that it was possible but was wondering what anyone on here thought.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I bought one last Spring and divided it into 3.

Had them in the sun and they hated it so put them in a shady area and they loved it.

Got one I'm going to divide again and put in a different pot.

I have other plants I'm going to root cuttings off of put them in Hanging Pots so they will be pretty next Spring.

big rockpile

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Zone 6
Country
United States
I bought one last Spring and divided it into 3.

Had them in the sun and they hated it so put them in a shady area and they loved it.

Got one I'm going to divide again and put in a different pot.

I have other plants I'm going to root cuttings off of put them in Hanging Pots so they will be pretty next Spring.

big rockpile
@big rockpile, What are some of the other plants you will take root cuttings off?

Reaction score
Country
United States
I'm just starting and have tried cuttings off of many and rooted then. Then some say they just do seed so I got away from cuttings.

Then I watched a video of a Commercial Grower I was surprised he used so many Clones he said to cut cost.

He had everything Automated which is what my Son wants me to do. Won't work.

Oh on Clones I seen something I'm going to try.

Make my cuts,I've been putting Aloe juice on the stem, have a Pot with soil, open a hole in the edge, stick cutting in there, about 4 per pot, water some in the middle not on the cutting

big rockpile

Last edited:

Ask a Question