Growing Purple Podded Peas

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a special heirloom variety of pea, which can be harvested at the both stages in its pods' growth (as a fresh pea for raw use, or the pods can be allowed to swell and grow larger to be used for its peas inside).

The peas inside the pod are unique in the way that they, when dried, become orange coloured 'marrowfat' peas which are larger than other types and irregular in their shape.

Untitled .jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Those look awesome. I'm surprised how well those are growing in pots. Do you make our own soil?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Those look awesome. I'm surprised how well those are growing in pots. Do you make our own soil?

Thank you

They are grown using a peat free compost mixture of coconut coir (from the husks), soil and some minerals for the purpose of adding nutrients

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here are 'Pea Shoots', the immature, baby plants that grow from the seed, emerging from the compost.

This is about 2 weeks after sowing the seeds

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg

Notice the slight purple colouring on the shoots, which indicate their heirloom type.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    34.6 KB · Views: 1
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
As the shoots are 5cm high, their leaves start to expand and photosynthesise with rapid growth.

The number of leaves has multiplied on each plant a week later, and the chlorophyll developed has caused them to have a vibrant green colour. They are edible and can be easily snipped using a harvesting knife for use as a nutritious (high in vitamin C and chlorophyll) green.

1.jpg
2.jpg

3.jpg
4.jpg

The tendrils, which attach themselves to nearby support so the plant can climb upwards, are beginning to form so they soon need a supporting object. Bamboo canes are easy to insert into the soil and the plants wrap easily around them.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
From across the pond, thought you might find it of interest that we grow peas also in summer...one particular variety I really love to eat is the purple hull pink eye...also an heirloom seed that I save and reuse each year.

These peas are not only delicious but used in a system of chop and drop can provide incredible soil replenishment...but the more you eat the less soil nourishment. I usually run three or four cycles of chop and drop and allow to reseed each growing season all at the cost of a handful of seeds.

Here's the harvested pea:

pinkeye  2.JPG

Following harvest, we shell them out for the finished product:
pinkeye.JPG

Peas are just a great veggie that can serve as a food source and equally well as a soil builder.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
From across the pond, thought you might find it of interest that we grow peas also in summer...one particular variety I really love to eat is the purple hull pink eye...also an heirloom seed that I save and reuse each year.

These peas are not only delicious but used in a system of chop and drop can provide incredible soil replenishment...but the more you eat the less soil nourishment. I usually run three or four cycles of chop and drop and allow to reseed each growing season all at the cost of a handful of seeds.

Here's the harvested pea:

View attachment 98387

Following harvest, we shell them out for the finished product:
View attachment 98386

Peas are just a great veggie that can serve as a food source and equally well as a soil builder.

I am fascinated by the shape and colour of the pods which remind me of some long growing bean pods used for drying as pulses.

The peas seem to be related to black eyed beans, and they look like mung beans in a way. Do you harvest them for fresh, raw use as well as for drying?

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Yes, they are related to black eyes but IMO taste much better, generate much more organic matter, and fix nitrogen better than black eyes.

They're best cooked fresh, IMO, with a favorite pork selection but we also can and freeze some.

The highest use I have for them is in soil building and for that you need to leave most alone to reseed themselves over and over in a season. I have achieved spectacular results in soil tests doing this with peas and in fact have a 75 ft row right now in its second generation of growing.

peas for big rock.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, they are related to black eyes but IMO taste much better, generate much more organic matter, and fix nitrogen better than black eyes.

They're best cooked fresh, IMO, with a favorite pork selection but we also can and freeze some.

The highest use I have for them is in soil building and for that you need to leave most alone to reseed themselves over and over in a season. I have achieved spectacular results in soil tests doing this with peas and in fact have a 75 ft row right now in its second generation of growing.

View attachment 98399

That looks a natural way to add nutrients to the soil

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
That looks a natural way to add nutrients to the soil
Yes, it is. It works!

I use zero synthetic fertilizers in my veggie garden. I will test that pea growing soil at the end of the season and the soil test will say "No N-P-K required".

Peas are simply a marvelous crop that feeds you and feeds your soil.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, it is. It works!

I use zero synthetic fertilizers in my veggie garden. I will test that pea growing soil at the end of the season and the soil test will say "No N-P-K required".

Peas are simply a marvelous crop that feeds you and feeds your soil.

Of this particular type, pink eyes, can you eat the shoots? With most pea varieties almost the entire plant (with the exception of its flowers) are edible.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The plants are gently wrapped around bamboo canes which are inserted into the compost. Support clips are used to train it to grow upwards and allow the tendrils to grip the canes so the stems can climb them.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

4.jpg

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Of this particular type, pink eyes, can you eat the shoots? With most pea varieties almost the entire plant (with the exception of its flowers) are edible.
Hmm. Never tried that. They will climb just like you have pictured if encouraged to do so.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The plants grow quickly after they are supported and start to climb the bamboo canes.

1.jpg
2.jpg
3.jpg

4.jpg
5.jpg
6.jpg

7.jpg
8.jpg
9.jpg

10.jpg

Ask a Question