Anyone Have Any Experience Growing Hybrid Purple Tomatoes

Reaction score
I bought a couple of these this years and they are the most water needy tomatoes I have ever worked with? Is it just the strain or is something else going on here in my garden I am not aware of? All my other tomato plants seem to be happy enough with the water they are getting. But not these babies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
IAll thes bought a couple of these this years and they are the most water needy tomatoes I have ever worked with? Is it just the strain or is something else going on here in my garden I am not aware of? All my other tomato plants seem to be happy enough with the water they are getting. But not these babies.
Where is your location? What is the variety of tomato? Is the planting medium exactly the same. Determinate or inderterminate? Early or heat setter? All these questions are important

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hello and welcome to the forum! Chuck is right that a little more info would be very useful :)

Reaction score
The variety I am growing is a brand new hybrid call the 'Indigo Rose'. This tomato was genetically engineered to produce anthocyanins in the fruit and is considered to be a budding superfood because of the benefits from the anthocyanins. I live and grow in North Carolina so we have a wonderful tomato season and some of the best tomatoes I have ever tasted were grown within twenty five miles of my home. Planting medium is the same as all the other tomato plants I have growing just a few feet from these babies.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
When you say they need water more often than the others what are the signs? I am talking about the visuals of the plant in the early mornings. Are they all wilted or just the Indigo's. Everything being equal there is no reason for one tomato plant to be requiring more water than another. Is this tomato a hybrid or a GMO. If it is a GMO plant I do not know. I have never grown one nor will I.

Reaction score
[QUOTE="Chuck, post: 32603, member: 944" Is this tomato a hybrid or a GMO. If it is a GMO plant I do not know. I have never grown one nor will I.[/QUOTE]

" Indigo Rose " I can very definitely say is not a GMO plant and was bred using conventional crossing and selection techniques :)

Ask a Question