Runner bean not growing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anybody know why the bean on the right is not growing. I can see the leaves are not looking great. Would pruning the dark leaves encourage growth

Attachments

• 979043E3-171D-461B-824B-13B0494D606F.jpeg
    979043E3-171D-461B-824B-13B0494D606F.jpeg
    321.7 KB · Views: 14

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
No, it would hinder growth. It looks to me like the plants were unevenly fertilized especially with Nitrogen and that particular plant may have received an overdose of fertilizer. Water them heavy and it will likely pull out of it.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
No, it would hinder growth. It looks to me like the plants were unevenly fertilized especially with Nitrogen and that particular plant may have received an overdose of fertilizer. Water them heavy and it will likely pull out of it.
Brilliant thank you

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
I grow runner beans in various beds and in containers. In my experience it's very normal for plants in different locations, and even plants in the same container, to grow at different rates.

Not all seeds germinate at the same time - you can have a difference of many days between one seed and another. So genetically your seeds aren't all identical. There can be slight variations in the soil, micro climate etc. For example, with my peas this year (which were outdoors in containers when it was still really quite cold) did better one one side of the container where the lip of the container gave the small plants protection from the prevailing wind.

I have several squash plants that all germinated the same day and grew at exactly the same rate when kept indoors in pots. But once planted out some have romped away and are a few feet long, whereas others have barely grown since planted. This happened last year too, but the slow starters turned out to be the biggest, most productive plants.

I have hundreds of beans of various type growing in my garden. Some are already at the top of 8 foot bamboo canes and others haven't yet found the cane to wrap around it. Same variety, same conditions, same location.

However, it doesn't follow that those that are vigerous early on will produce the biggest crop. Like kids - they have growth spurts at differing times.

Reaction score
Country
United States
If anyone knows the reason for the “deformed “ bean leaf, please let me know. I just posted in this forum with a picture of my bean plants with similar looking leaves.

My post

Ask a Question