Plastic raised gardens for runner beans -,ok?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, I have decided to grow some runner beans. Not grown veg for years so basically new to it. I have a gravel area and have seen in Wilko they have some ready made plastic triangle runner bean raised beds. I think these would be ideal as they are stackable so for the many months they won’t be in use I can easily store them away. They even have support for canes!
So do I need to put a layer of stone for drainage in the bottoms and what soil should I put in them?

Thanks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If your just putting them on the ground then no need to worry about drainage. Provided they do not have a bottom of their own, I assume they are just sides. Just keep in mind it will be a bit of work to empty them and refill each season and anything under it will die off, so you'll have a bare spot. Other than that, fill with some garden soil of your choice and enjoy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
If your just putting them on the ground then no need to worry about drainage. Provided they do not have a bottom of their own, I assume they are just sides. Just keep in mind it will be a bit of work to empty them and refill each season and anything under it will die off, so you'll have a bare spot. Other than that, fill with some garden soil of your choice and enjoy.
Hi they have bottoms. I will be putting them on gravel so no worries there and have dug out plot for raspberries sorbet Anne emptied into there when not in use.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
If you get any wind at all, they'll blow over.
If you want to grow beans in them, I'd suggest dwarf French beans, which will love the extra warmth from a raised bed.
You definitely need the bottoms pierced to allow drainage, but you don't need stones for drainage.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
ahh what do you know, I couldn't find them on line! I have bought the largest canes so need a spacer for the tops. They survived heavy winds all day yesterday, inside the tubs they have made slots to hold the canes as well as the soil. We had gusts of 30 miles an hour and more! When I looked at them they do have holes in them for drainage.

thanks for the advice though :)

Ask a Question