Rid of Plastic in the world, save Oceans

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Yes. Good idea. When I go to supermarket, people are still paying 5p for their carrier bag, which is stupid. I now have several plastic lined hessian bags for my shopping. Love them. So nice to carry and so sturdy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
I have about 6 cloth bags, I use for food shopping of various sizes. Kinda got them free from somewhere. My husband's contacts give him them for "marketing purposes" , they are good and sturdy, with nice handles. Have to just remember to gather them up again and pile them in my car after I shop. they can actually be washed in cold water if needed. Also probably got a few from "seminars" I have been on, where they give you piles of information in a bag.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Oh i love it when some one starts posts like this. People can think of making a change for a long time before they finally do and it is reminders and posts like these that can finally cause some people to take the leap. I have some hemp bags for smaller purchases and these have held up for 20 years so far without fail and are still sturdy.

Mostly for really small purchases, or say a purchase of one item, i will say "i don't need a bag". For groceries i have two sturdy bags that normally hold everything i am buying. I don't know what they are made of, but they are sturdy and i use them over and over and over..

As an added bonus, my city has is remediating the beaches from past sins. Some of the supers are offering "green" lines for people who bring their own bags. Because i live on a mini-mountain and the garbage truck cannot negotiate a rather sharp turn, some years ago a vertical tunnel was bored to throw the garbage down 3 long levels, fall bump, fall bump, fall bump into a closed collection site (the garbage thrown down does need to be wrapped in a plastic bag or it would become too foul). We have recycle collection cans for everything, paper, cardboard, metal, glass, plastics and they are always full, because they are available. I have never seen such dedicated recyclers. When full they make a jaunt down the hill in a pick up truck to the appropriate recycle areas. I think, some how because it is just not one person's efforts to recycle, but a community's efforts with businesses etc participating that it works so well. It is so easy, it is so clean. Come to think of it i don't even notice trash thrown in the streets that you see almost every where, empty coke bottles and the like. Well i guess initially, boring a hole vertically through a mini-mountain probably not so easy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
my favorite Grocery Store gives you 3 cents off your order for each cloth bag you bring for purchases. And they give senior discount off of 5% your order. And they have a back corner in their store of day old items and 1/4 cost, many times I look at offerings, and pick up something.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
USDA Zone 11
Country
Mexico
Yeah, great @Esther Knapicius to patronize businesses that are helping the environment and giving a boost to the poor. A good way to say "thank you"...it is a good community builder.

Ask a Question