Scarlet runner beans

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello and welcome to the Forums.

Scarlet Runner Bean (Phaseolus coccineus) is a vine so it may be hard to cover at night, but if you can do so, this may give you a few more weeks of growth. Try covering it with frost cloth or even a large box or plastic bin.

When did you sow the seeds last Spring? Next year, you can try sowing earlier indoors so the plants will be larger when you plant it out. There are several color forms of Phaseolus coccineus. Most commonly the flower petals are completely red-orange, but there are also white and bi-colored cultivars.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada

There is a few frames on beans. Beans should be green. They can take bit of frost. I had a glass for morning repast. Excellent juice nd it keeps for a long time at room temperature. Much improved over commercial juice offerings.​

Last of 2021 Garden Processed.

Posted on 10/08/2021 by Durgan
Last of 2021 Garden Vegetables. Carrots, green beans, green peppers, turnip and one parsnip. All made into a slurry, strained and pressure cooked at 15 PSI for 15 minutes for storage. Carrots 6 pounds, green beens 5 pounds, green peppers 1 pound, turnip and parsnip 1 pound. About 13 pounds total. The carrots, peppers, and turnips were processed by using the dicer for samll pieces. Did good service. Pictures.
https://durgan.org/2021/October 2021/8 October 2021 End of 2021 Garden/HTML/
8 October 2021 End of 2021 Garden
dsc_0044_std.jpg

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
I took the phrase 'save beans' to mean saving seeds to plant the following year. Is that correct? If so, then the seeds do need to be fully mature (dry). If the beans are to be eaten then they can be either green or dried depending on how they will be prepared.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Canada
Hello and welcome to the Forums.

Scarlet Runner Bean (Phaseolus coccineus) is a vine so it may be hard to cover at night, but if you can do so, this may give you a few more weeks of growth. Try covering it with frost cloth or even a large box or plastic bin.

When did you sow the seeds last Spring? Next year, you can try sowing earlier indoors so the plants will be larger when you plant it out. There are several color forms of Phaseolus coccineus. Most commonly the flower petals are completely red-orange, but there are also white and bi-colored cultivars.
I planted them in late May. I will cover them, thank you!

Ask a Question