Scarlett runner beans

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello, I have a question about saving scarlet runner beans for seed. I have had to harvest a bunch of large pods due to plant damage and a plant that had to be removed. The beans inside the pods are mostly bright pink still and not fully mature, can these be saved for seed? Or do they have to be cooked and eaten immediately? Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Hello, I have a question about saving scarlet runner beans for seed. I have had to harvest a bunch of large pods due to plant damage and a plant that had to be removed. The beans inside the pods are mostly bright pink still and not fully mature, can these be saved for seed? Or do they have to be cooked and eaten immediately? Thanks!
I really doubt if they are mature enough to germinate. A mature bean is a dark purple or almost black.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks. I read one forum where a chick was drying them out in a dehydrator or a windowsill but I wasn’t clear if they were just fully matured beans in an undried pod.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Leave them in their sheaths, store them in a dry place and let the green die. You will be left with suitable beans of that purplish colour and these will germinate......'Trust me'. I'm a doctor. LOL

Reaction score
Country
United States
Awesome! This is what I chose to do after reading another account of less than mature beans germinating. Thank you!! I have faith lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10a
Country
United States
This is my first year growing them. They are hummingbird magnets, and loaded with beans. And beautiful of course I couldn't resist a picture. They're growing quite tall, at least eight feet of beans with red flowers and bean pods up the whole way

Attachments

• 15625455064211522762089.jpg
    15625455064211522762089.jpg
    156.4 KB · Views: 199
Reaction score
Country
United States
Where are you located? I’m in Tennessee so it’s getting too hot for them here. I plant them early spring and then again in the fall for two kinda short runs.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I usually leave the plants to turn brown , then when I take them down there will always be enough beans for next year's planting, but I have noticed where the missus dropped some that were too developed and stringy they have turned purple as the pods turned brown. The most important thing I find with runners is to dig out a trench and fill it with organic matter that will hold water, they are not so needy of actual compost, they make their own nitrogen. People say they put nitrogen into the soil, but of course they don't, they make it for their own use, but if you chop off the halum for the compost and leave the roots to rot in the soil you will get the benefit.

They are one of the best looking vegetable plants, I also grow a variety called St. George which has red and white flowers, the seeds are almost white and easily distinguished from the scarlet runners. Climbing french beans have pretty violet flowers, freeze beautifully, and have a longer season, worth considering. There are advantages to saving seed beyond the economic ones, they select for the growing conditions in your garden. Someone did a study of immigrants who had brought exotic vegetable seed with them and grown them in British allotments, they found that after ten years or so they were doing far better than varieties specially produced for the British climate by seed companies.

Ask a Question