Growing Rainbow Mix and Tendersweet Carrots

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
This is a unique and inspiring mix of colours (orange, yellow, white and purple. They are thinner and smaller than most modern carrots, but they do not compromise on sweetness.

Untitled 271.jpg
Untitled 272.jpg

These planters have been filled with organic potting compost composed of a mixture of coconut coir (from coconut husks), soil and other natural elements which allow for the roots of the plants to easily absorb their nutrients.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Untitled 270.jpg

This wooden planter (in which 'Rainbow Mix' carrots are to be grown) is of the ideal depth (20-30cm) for the growth of the roots, and the soil is spread out evenly on top of it and thoroughly watered. The seeds are sown 1cm deep, 5cm apart in rows. It is constantly kept moist, so that the seeds can germinate and sprout.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The second wooden planter, pictured here, is growing 'Tendersweet', which is long and thin, and considered to be the sweetest carrot.

Untitled 272.jpg

Untitled 296.jpg

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
This wooden planter (in which 'Rainbow Mix' carrots are to be grown) is of the ideal depth (20-30cm) for the growth of the roots, ---
So, 30 cm = 11.8 inches if my math is correct. Have you actually successfully grown them at that depth?

Carrots that I grow in containers need about 14 inches or about 36 cm. of depth. 20 cm definitely would not work here.

That last part of the depth, the last few inches, is critical for me...but maybe your variety does better with less depth?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Seems like it depends on how long you want your carrots. Personally I'm ok at 6 to 8 inches and that's what I get.

Once my carrots hit the clay under the topsoil there's a dramatic change in diameter. The tap might go another couple inches but the ground is too firm for the rest to bulb out.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The seeds sprout after about a week of watering, with seedlings emerging from the top of the compost.

Untitled.jpg
Untitled 94.jpg
Untitled 97.jpg

Untitled 101  .jpg
Untitled 115.jpg
Untitled 179.jpg

True and the Op did say "smaller than most modern carrots" so may not be an issue.

I like 'em long and sweet.

View attachment 98129

These two carrot varieties are slightly different. The 'Rainbow' (in other words, mixture of heirloom coloured seeds) carrots grow about 6 inches long - I have harvested them at smaller lengths in shallower containers before and they still grew acceptably.

The second variety, which is known to be long and thin, grows about 8 inches long. The roots of this type are happy at this depth of the container. So, I do not think having more depth would interfere with the growth of these particular carrots. The most important part of this is having sufficient depth so they can grow to their intended size.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
These seedlings turn into vibrant green tops with the distinctive carrot shape one week later, with continued watering and constantly moist compost.

Untitled.jpg
Untitled 94 .jpg

Untitled 97 .jpg
Untitled 101 .jpg

Untitled 115 .jpg
Untitled 179   .jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The roots of the vegetables begin to form, and the tops grow longer and photosynthesise which gives them a deep green colour because of the chlorophyll. When harvested, these tops are highly nutritious with a higher concentration of vitamins than that of the root itself. They contain 6x more vitamin C than the carrot root, and chlorophyll which is highly energising.

Untitled.jpg

Untitled .jpg
Untitled 94.jpg

Untitled 94 .jpg
Untitled 97.jpg

Untitled 101.jpg
Untitled 115.jpg

Untitled 179.jpg
Untitled 185.jpg

Untitled 196.jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The continued watering causes the roots to grow quickly. The tops photosynthesise which increases the chlorophyll and gives them a deeper green colour.

Untitled.jpg
Untitled 94.jpg

Untitled 94 .jpg
Untitled 97.jpg

Untitled 97 .jpg
Untitled 101.jpg

Untitled 115.jpg
Untitled 179.jpg

Untitled 179.jpg
Untitled 179 .jpg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
With the tops at this size growing out of the planter, it is an indication that these 'Rainbow' carrots are reaching their harvesting size.

Untitled.jpg
Untitled .jpg

Ask a Question