JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Last year I bought a Gold Queen Globeflower on clearance. It was just a tiny little plant. This year it got much larger and flowered. After the flowers died off, I left the plant be. I went outside yesterday and noticed one of the heads opened up and had tons of seeds in it. Does anyone have experience with this? I love the color of the flowers and would like to plant the seeds if possible, though I don't know much of anything about this plant and there doesn't seem to be much information about its seeds online.

Reaction score
After the flowers died off, I left the plant be. I went outside yesterday and noticed one of the heads opened up and had tons of seeds in it. Does anyone have experience with this? I love the color of the flowers and would like to plant the seeds if possible, though I don't know much of anything about this plant and there doesn't seem to be much information about its seeds online.

As I'm not very good with the common names of plants - in order to make sure I give the right information for the right plant - does your Gold Queen Globeflower look like this

Trollius Chinensis - Golden Queen Globeflower

Trollius Chinensis - Golden Queen globeflower.JPG

Which if it does - what you currently have are some seeds ready for collection - which can easily be collected by shaking the seed head into a paper bag and then stored in a cool dark place - until sowing time - which as these seeds are also cold germinators like many of your other seeds - would be best sown outside at the same time as you do your others - late Autumn to early Winter.

I would however just add that you can also propagate this plant by dividing the clumps either in the Autumn or early Spring - which I have to say - is sometimes the better option as you get a good sized plant - much quicker that way :)

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
As I'm not very good with the common names of plants - in order to make sure I give the right information for the right plant - does your Gold Queen Globeflower look like this

Trollius Chinensis - Golden Queen Globeflower

View attachment 3309

Which if it does - what you currently have are some seeds ready for collection - which can easily be collected by shaking the seed head into a paper bag and then stored in a cool dark place - until sowing time - which as these seeds are also cold germinators like many of your other seeds - would be best sown outside at the same time as you do your others - late Autumn to early Winter.

I would however just add that you can also propagate this plant by dividing the clumps either in the Autumn or early Spring - which I have to say - is sometimes the better option as you get a good sized plant - much quicker that way :)

Yes, that's the plant! Thanks for the info! I'll be planting those seeds in autumn. I never expected this plant to have seeds. what a nice surprise!

Reaction score
Yes, that's the plant! Thanks for the info! I'll be planting those seeds in autumn. I never expected this plant to have seeds. what a nice surprise!

My pleasure - and yes although Trollius Chinensis are known to self seed when grown in the right conditions - I can well imagine that if you weren't expecting it to happen that it came as somewhat of surprise - so can equate with your excitement at seeing your seeds - especially as the best surprises are without a doubt always the unexpected ones.

So in the meantime wish you luck with your seed sowing in the Autumn :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Trollius, commonly known as Globeflowers, is a genus in the Adonis Tribe (Adonideae) of the Buttercup Family (Ranunculaceae). There are 38 species. Thirty-seven of them are native to Eurasia, the British Isles, Taiwan, Japan, and Sakhalin; including one species (T. riederianus) which extends from northeastern Asia into Alaska.
There is also one species (T. laxus) endemic to parts of North America.

Chinese Globeflower (Trollius chinensis) is native to eastern China, Mongolia, Siberia, Korea, and Sakhalin. The form most well-known in cultivation is the cultivar T. chinensis 'Golden Queen', with large flowers of a vibrant golden-orange hue.
Trollius chinensis is also one of the parents, along with of the hybrid Globeflowers (Trollius x cultorum) of which there are many cultivars. Other parents of this complex group of hybrids includes T. asiaticus and T. europaeus.

Ask a Question