Fall Gold Raspberries Help

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

I have looked around on the internet for help on these guys. We bought some Fall Gold's a few years back, approx 2 years ago, this being our 3rd year growing them. We got them from farmer's seed in Faribault, MN as bare roots. https://www.farmerseed.com/6534-fall-gold-raspberry While planting them we cut them down to approx 6 inches tall and watered well until established. After planting them we left them alone this first season until fall when we just cut back the tips. The second year they grew like crazy but grew up vertically about 2 feet and everything went sideways and they spread like wild. These have massive thorny spikes on them and we tied them up the best we could with leather gloves. Last fall I about had it with them and cut them back to just a few good branches. We went to the store and one person there said we did the right things thus far, and the next guy said we shouldn't have pruned them and we wrecked them for life. Is there anyone with any real knowledge on these that can help? Can you prune heavily to re-train the plant? Thank you for the help in advance.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
Canada
I don't see how pruning them like that would ruin them for life. Raspberries send up new canes through the growing season, and summer bearing varieties will grow berries only on second year canes. Even if you cut them all down to 1 inch, they still have energy in the roots to send up new canes.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
These are basically primocane raspberries, and although you can get a crop June to August, it is my experience that the raspberries in BOTH harvests are not as good as when you limit them to one crop per year.

Here's what I do with my primocane raspberries:
Cut them right down to the ground late Jan-early Feb. This stimulates new shoot growth and these shoots grow into canes which provide a fantastic crop of tasty juicy raspberries from late July-end September, cropping at a lower level, which I use for jam and wine, for another 4-6 wks dependant upon the weather.
This, and a comfrey tea feed June, July and Aug, plus picking a punnetful each morning, and usually another punnetful in the evening, (Started with 10 canes) is the only work I have to do for them.
I have strawberries, blackcurrants and rhubarb in June, plums and cherries in July.
I try to enjoy as much fruit as I can, but all at its best.

Welcome to the forum.

Ask a Question