Garden snakes

Reaction score
To be honest - as it was rather angry I didn't really get much time to notice its eyes at the time of taking the photograph - but now that you mention it - think you are probably right - it does have what could be described as " puppy eyes " :D

Until you mentioned chickens - I'd always assumed the reason why I see a lot of snakes was because - I live in a fairly remote mountainous area with rocky stony ground - which here is thought to be their natural habitat - however although I don't keep chickens myself or have a major rodent problem - some of my neighbors - who although some considerable distance away from me - do keep chickens and other wildlife - but saying that I don't just get snakes visiting my garden but every other kind of reptile too.

You can actually tell a snake is either a constrictor or a viper by looking at its head. Vipers have a distinct and angular shape of the head while constrictors have a rounded shape. The eyes are also a good indicator. Vipers have slits while constrictors have "puppy eyes".

That could also be a reason. Maybe the reptiles just wander off into your yard. I have no idea how you can live with that. I'd probably have a mini heart attack every time I rake the leaves or something.

Reaction score
You can actually tell a snake is either a constrictor or a viper by looking at its head. Vipers have a distinct and angular shape of the head while constrictors have a rounded shape. The eyes are also a good indicator. Vipers have slits while constrictors have "puppy eyes".

That could also be a reason. Maybe the reptiles just wander off into your yard. I have no idea how you can live with that. I'd probably have a mini heart attack every time I rake the leaves or something.

To be honest as most of the snakes that frequent my garden are generally moving pretty swiftly and because of that - I rarely get the chance to see their heads let alone their faces properly - I've found that for me - its generally best to try and identify them by their colorings :D

Well I would agree there - that encountering snakes on a regular basis is pretty alarming especially initially - however once you get used to having them around and realize that they are generally far more scared of you and that so long as you don't antagonize them they will do you no harm - you just tend to accept that they are around and do things cautiously - especially in areas where you think they may frequent and in fact they are actually less of worry than some of the other things that I encounter in my garden on a regular basis :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Snakes are not poisonous around where I live so they don't bother me much. I just get a little startled when the slither out of hiding unexpected.

Reaction score
The snakes we have around here are harmless. I have been hunting through my pics as I had a great shot of a rubber boa but I can't seem to find it now. They aren't very interesting but they are rare. Our snakes do no harm to the garden and, in fact, many eat rodents which can cause damage tot the garden. I like having them around.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
I Iive in Putnam County, Florida. In the last 2 weeks there have been 3 Rattlesnake bites, 2 Eastern Diamondback and one pygmy in our county. Just today a 4 year old boy in a neighboring county was bitten by a Canebrake rattler. The bites have all been exceptionally venomous, one patient taking over 70 vials of anti- venom. I believe there was also a coral snake bite in Miami. It seems to be a bad year for snake-bites.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
the four-year old passed away about a week after the bite. the other patients have survived.

Reaction score
I am in the same area of Alabama as happyflowerlady. I had a home located not far from where I live now and we used to see little green grass snakes often. There was a damp woody area behind the house and I suppose the snakes came visiting from there. Where I am now, it is dryer and I have not seen any grass snakes at all. I also used to see little dark colored salamanders in piles of leaves where it would be cool and damp.

Reaction score
I have seen them a few times around my backyard. Just get a garden tool and chop his head off. I don't know what will keep them away all together though.

Reaction score
Only 3 types in Britain, Adder, Smooth & Grass snake. Only the Adder is poisonous, but bites are a rareity.

Saw a Grass snake during the summer.

PICT0022.jpg

We get Slow Worms in the garden, they look like snakes but are legless Lizards. Cats keep catching them though:(
My grandmother would have a heartattack if she ran into this devil while she was gardening. lol

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Please be sure that you don't execute friendly snakes, only dangerous ones. I am particularly fond of the tiny ringneck. I also like hognose snakes, which actually has a mild venom but you have to stick your finger into its mouth to get it as the fangs are at the back of its mouth.

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry to hear about the four year old @thomas pendrake :(

Would never kill a snake.

Disturbed this little beauty digging the garden over (and its baby)

Not a Snake though, but a legless Lizard.

JBtheExplorer

Native Gardener
Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Please be sure that you don't execute friendly snakes, only dangerous ones.

I would recommend never killing a snake regardless. They all just want to live their lives as well. If at all possible, call a professional to relocate them before ending the creature's life. Also, many species of snake are protected and illegal to kill. Here in my state, all venomous snakes are illegal to kill unless in an immediate life or death situation.

Reaction score
I too would agree that there is really no justifiable reason to kill a snake unnecessarily - especially as in most Countries they are now regarded as a protected species - due to the fact that many are now becoming fairly extinct.

Although I can understand that encountering snakes on a regular basis is pretty alarming - especially initially - there is no reason to kill them as they will generally do you no harm - unless of course you antagonize them - particularly as they are normally far more scared of you and tend to just slither away at speed if left be and to be perfectly honest having snakes in my garden - is actually far less of worry than some of the other things that I encounter in my garden on a very regular basis :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
I have run into too many rattlers, water moccasins, coral snakes, and copperheads to never kill one. I don't want one near my house, but respect them when elsewhere. I believe there have been more deaths here in Florida recently. Rattlesnakes are also tasty fried. Hog-nose snakes are nice, just don't stick your finger in their mouth. They are slightly venomous, but their fangs are in the back of their mouth.

Last edited:

Ask a Question